• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

why do my other teeth ache?

J

jceeson

Hello all. I had my tooth extracted close to three days ago and the area seems to be healing fine. I'm still quite sore but nothing unbearable. My question is why do other teeth in my mouth hurt? Actually its more like the gums around my teeth especially when I chew. I am careful not to chew on the side where the tooth was pulled. Is this normal? They hurt above the site and on the other side of my mouth as well as the site itself of course. Any help is appreciated.

I had a similar thing off and on during my course of extractions. I think it's just that the remaining teeth are shifting around a little bit - the teeth that were removed used to kind of hold them up on one side, so they're just a bit wiggly now and your body hasn't had time to rebuild the area around the roots stronger yet.

For me it was like you said, not terribly painful just a bit sore. If things get worse or stay bad for awhile you'll definitely want to see a dentist.

And of course any advice from a dentist here trumps mine...

Thank you for the info. That would explain why my wisdom tooth which is the one next to the tooth i got pulled hurts also. it also seems higher then it was. The dentist did tell me it would shift a bit i just didn't make the connection till you came along. lol Thank you for that. Maybe you can tell me how long it usually takes to heal. Also will the hole fill in or will there always be a dip. The site is still quite tender but I'm not having any severe pain so I figure it's doin ok. Kinda dark greyish in color now. Thanks again!!

Well all my teeth are acrylic now, so I don't have a good point of reference for how well the holes fill in. I'm pretty sure they'll always be a bit lower than the bottom of the crown of nearby teeth, but the amount of bone loss (which is what determines how tall the gums will appear) is much less if there's only one extraction. Like if you get 3 teeth in a row pulled, a lot more bone will be absorbed making that area lower.

Your teeth move your entire life, and with one gone they'll have a lot more room to wander than they used to. I'm not 100% sure how long you can expect the neighbors to complain about the vacant lot next door (because I just have all vacant lots now) but I didn't have much trouble with teeth near vacant spots after a couple weeks.

Even then it wasn't a big problem, just a bit of annoyance. I'd expect it to come and go for awhile, till things settle down.

Thank you again for the info. Very funny way to put it. The neighbours next door and all had a good chuckle at that! :ROFLMAO: Today it's not too bad. It is day four after my extraction and just a little achy. The hole looks huge though. It looks dark in there now instead of greyish like yesterday. Hope it fills in soon. Drivin me bonkers!:o

Depending on what tooth was pulled it may take a little patience. Molars like the one you had pulled are pretty big teeth with large roots, so it can take awhile before their holes really fill in.

Even after a couple months there will be little "dents" where things are still trying to level out. Everyone heals a little different.

Well it's been close to 6 days now and the hole appears to be getting smaller each day and the pain is gone for the most part thank goodness!:jump: I think you are right though it seems like it will take awhile for it to be gone completely. Thank you again for your help!:cheers:

Glad I could be of help!

I had an upper left wisdom tooth out 5 weeks ago and my teeth on that side still ache...actually the gums on/off. I have been to the dentist and he doesnt seem too concerned but it is just so annoying!! It happens at least a few times daily. And it isnt just the uppers near the extraction site on that side, it is the one lower molar on that side too!!
Any advice? I am 40 so maybe the extraction was more traumatic???

I have a question. I had a back bottom tooth on the left side pulled an a day later all the teeth on my right top hurt.can anyone tell me why and will it ever stop?

Back