• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help! Tooth Extraction Tomorrow

R

RubyGold

I am having a tooth extracted tomorrow. My biggest fear is that the tooth will be so stuck that they cannot get it out? Has anyone ever heard of this. I am just beside myself with worry. I have a terrible fear of dental work and I know I can no longer put this off. I figure if it will be out in a few minutes...it is only a few minutes and will be over soon. But what if the tooth is stuck...and they cannot remove it....yikes....pass the lorazepam

Ruby

You'll be fine tomorrow. I have never, ever heard of a tooth getting stuck. I'm sure that by this time your dentist has taken x-rays of your teeth. He or she would have let you know if they saw any possible complications. If there was any possibility of your tooth getting "stuck", your dentist would most likely have referred you to an oral surgeon. It sounds to me, from what you have said, that your procedure will be straightforward and will be over before you even know it.

Just be sure to follow all of the dentist's instructions for after care.

We'll be thinking about you. :grouphug:

THank you so much for your encouragement. I'll let you know how it goes
Ruby;D

How did it go? :grouphug:

I having it done today at 4:00 p.m. it is only 1:00 p.m. here in canada I will keep you posted
Thanks
Ruby

Ruby,
I hope everything goes super smooth for you! Keep telling yourself "It's almost done" and "I am ok" and try not to let anything else but positive thoughts creep into your mind while you are there.

:XXLhug:

Well the update is that I did not get it removed. When I asked the OS if it woudl be a simple extraction he said after looking at the tooth and xray that he would have to drill and cut gum....so I got a little ansy and we decided ona mild sedation. It has been rescheduled for October. But now I want the damn thing out.....now I am worried that it will be become infected before then.......yikes...never a calm moment with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry. If there was a big risk for something bad happening before October, your OS wouldn't have rescheduled it there. He thinks it's ok to wait until that, so it probably is. What do you mean by mild sedation - is it IV or oral or what? Now try to relax - I know waiting is sometimes really awful, but still. And congratulations on doing so well at your appointment!

Ruby,
IF you had any signs of infection you could get right on antibiotics to kick it out and rechedule for sooner. Honestly I had a surgical extraction like that not too long ago on a back molar and it was a lot easier as a patient than one of the other molars I had extracted the normal way. It took a little time and I had to go back to have the stitches out but it was ok.

Thanks for the posts, I think it is a mild sedation through IV. Unless you think I should have just regular freezing....all this is playing in my head.....

In my opinion... If you immediately became a little squeamish at the thought of a more complicated procedure, there's no reason not to use a little mild sedation to help things go smoothly. I know from experience that sedation is a tremendous help for those of us who deal with dental anxieties. Anesthetics are more effective when you're as calm and relaxed as possible, too.
Likewise, there's no reason you should HAVE to have any sedation if you'd rather have local anesthetic only and remain completely alert. You do what's right for YOU!!! It doesn't matter what anyone else does or doesn't do when they go to the dentist. You do what feels right to you to get where you need to be. :XXLhug:

Back