• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

immediate denture or wait?

• Thread starter one day i will do it
  • Start date
O

one day i will do it

Hello !
I am having all my top teeth extracted and some at the bottom rear, could someone suggest the best option i.e have an immediate one or wait 2 weeks after surgery to start having impressions taken ? my new dentist who is not very helpful or friendly said to wait a couple weeks after.

one of my fears is how am i going to eat for 4 weeks with gums and also what happens when you sleep my teeth at the bottom are going to dig into my gums !
Thanks for any advice:(

Hello and welcome.I recently had a top full immidiate denture and I went with the immidiate so I woulden't have to go without teeth:(
I think it just depends on what you would prefer.The immidiate denture worked well for me and I was able to get used to speaking pretty quickly.
I was worried about grinding my bottom teeth into my gums as well,so when I do sleep without them,I sleep with a bit of towel or washcloth in my mouth but if u we're to start to grind your bottom teeth on the top gums I am pretty sure you would wake up right away.
It is a personal decision,but for me(and others in my family)Immidiate dentures worked great for me.
Good luck and you are in my thoughts.:XXLhug:

hi 'one day'

it is usual these days to have 'immediate' dentures. this means that a plate would be fitted on the same day immediately after the extractions. it sounds like you will only need a top immediate denture at this point.

the immediate denture will need to be relined/replaced in 3 months or so.

if you wait 2-4 weeks before getting the impressions- the gums will still shrink, and you will still need the denture relined/replaced in 3 months.

in this day and age- no-one should have to go without teeth for any time at all. even if it is for purely cosmetic reasons- you should have an immediate plate. (it can actually help the gums heal into a good shape as well).
put your foot down- you should have an immediate denture. if you get no-where with your dentist- go to another dentist!!

re the teeth biting the gums- actually even when you have dentures- you should leave them out at night- your body is pretty good at stopping you from hurting yourself. in the same way that you dont bite your tongue while you sleep- you wont bite on the gums!

good luck with it all!

It's really up to you. Most people now have the option of immediates being made. My hubby got immediates and has hated them from the beginning but our dentist is "away" so we have over 3000 worth of plastic sitting in a cup. The thing with the immediates is that they are molded with teeth still in the mouth which has advantages I'm sure but you don't get to do the wax try in and see how they really fit and look before you commit. Talk to your Dentist about it. I think most Dentist would have you fit for immediate upper plate and bottom partial if you chose to have one.

Thank you very much for your replies it makes me feel a lot more confident to get this done.
In my heart i would like immediates i have been looking for a new dentist but its difficult to find an nhs one.
Dr Mike when you moving to london ! or maybe i'll drive to scotland !
Thanks again for the replies so far. Tony:thumbsup:

When I had my upper partial done, my dentist gave me a temporary immediate plate. It was great. Kept my mouth in shape and helped my gums heal. The added pressure on my gums felt great. After a month or so, I went in for a new fitting for the permanent partial, which fit great. Now, after 5 years it still fits great. I only use polygrip if I'm going out for long periods of time and am not sure of what I will be eating.

Hello Oneday...just logged in after a little absence and catching up with all the posts. I am one of those people who had teeth extracted and opted for immediates as I didn't want to go for one single second without teeth, though I know some people do have teeth out and wait for gums to heal completely before having dentures. In my own personal opinion I can only think of one reason not to have immediates first and that is the cost factor because obviously having immediates and then several months down the line the permanents made does double the cost. However, when I had my teeth extracted under IV sedation, I came around, knew nothing of what had happened but woke with beautiful new teeth. I kept those immediates for 9 months, absolutely no problem with upper which fitted perfectly and felt completely natural. The lowers, not really any problem to moan about, but as the gums shrunk I had to have several adjustments to them but once I got my permanents - wow! I just forget they're not mine and am completely confident, smile all the time and how my life has changed!
It's really up to you as to what route you go and hopefully you will be able to discuss this with your dentist. You should be able to discuss quite fully all your options. I am sorry that your dentist does not appear to be that friendly, but keep on at him. You're the patient, the client the one who is paying him to do what you want. OK he can advise but I should ask why he is advising you to wait. However, if you do wait as he seems to be suggesting, once you get over the extractions your gums do harden and you'll be surprised at what you can eat.
So have another chat with your dentist, find out exactly all the whys and wherefores, and do keep us all posted.:grouphug:

hello again!
one question i meant to ask, with an immediate how many sittings do you have at the dentist? i know with a more permanet one you have at least 4.
Thanks again

With my appointments, after the initial consultation at which it was agreed extraction was the way forward, there was one appointment for impressions to be taken. However as I have a very small mouth, from that impression my dentist actually made me my own impression tray and second appointment (one week later) was to take more accurate impressions. After that, another 10 days and the appointment was for bite measurement which was pretty similar to having the other impressions. Then a two week break while the bases of the dentures were made but my dentist also made me a mould - without teeth as I still had my own, except for back teeth - so I could practise putting it in and out and getting used to having something alien in my mouth. Once the bases (plastic gum parts of the dentures were made, another appointment - and this was the fun part - choosing the colour of the teeth and ask any questions that I wanted to and I had loads as I wanted to stock up on toothpaste, adhesive all that sort of thing but I was told the dentist would give me a goodie pack with everything I needed in it. Anyhow I think it was 5th appointment that the teeth were to be extracted and immediates fitted. If you want to know the full story, do read my journal. It's pretty low down now in the section and it did get rather long, but I think chronicles accurately every step of the way. Any more questions, do feel free to ask as its always best to get answers from one who has been through it all though of course, we all experience things in a different way. I was lucky, my experience was great with no problems, no pain and though it might sound strange to say it given my high level of phobia, lots of giggles throughout the journey.

Thanks scared stiff, I have read your journal in most part managed to find the outcome ! you are very brave i was almost hyperventilating reading it !

i hate the bleeding thats how i'm back at the hospital(my gum was bleeding through a cavity for 24hrs ended up at a@e) .coming back to immediates i just had a call from the hospital about a new date for my extractions.....OCT THE 6TH oh my i can panic now ! they are treating me first class though ,the teamleader is going to be there who i met last week when i wimped out, and the anesthetist i've met and she says they will do me first !

so i've rang my dentist and said i really would like immediates she said they wont fit as well but i dont care i want teeth so i can smile again and not have nasty comments from my so called friends! first appointment is 10th sept
p.s i wont tell my mum about the new date she called me a wimp too !

Thanks again;)

I disagree slightly with the fact that immediates won't fit so well. At the beginning they should be perfect if the impressions are taken properly but they do lose their grip as your gums start shrinking but then you get reliners periodically until the time comes for you to have your permanents. Even so, I much preferred to have immediates and not be without teeth, even if they hadn't have fitted so well.
Make sure that your dentist gives you a total price. My dentist gave me the price of dentures which was fully inclusive of 2 reliners as and when needed. In the event, I never needed any adjustment at all to the top denture and over a period of 9 months just 3 reliners to the bottom. Normally you don't have to wait as long as 9 months for the perms. but I left it that long to make doubly sure my gums had got to where they were going and also because of timing and financial issues.

Immediate dentures can vary considerably. The lab basically has to judge how they think the gums will be after the teeth are taken out, so it its by no means totally down to the impression taken- there is a bit of luck and skill required with what happens at the lab!
Some fit really well, and in fact do not need to be relined at all! Others do the job while the gums are healing for the 3 months, but need to be altered or replaced at the end of that time.
BTW we also tend to avoid the word 'permanent' now in dentistry. We prefer to say 'long term' for any treatment be it denture or filling or crown etc. Bascially permanent means forever, and sadly- nothing a dentist can provide for you can be expected to last forever! It may last a very long time- but that's not permanent! On average dentures should be replaced at least every 5 years or so due to changes in your gums and wearing of the teeth etc.

Back