• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Biting the bullet - Pardon the pun

S

Serath

* Stands up *

Hi, I am Serath and I have Dental Phobia & Anxiety...with very bad teeth...

I think most people with this problem would agree that you hide from your dental problems untill it comes to a point where it can't be avoided any more...

Three weeks ago, I had a motor-car accident. Something must have slapped me in the face cus my glasses was broken and I had a bit of a bump and swelling on my lower jaw. I didn't pay too much attention to it as there was other more serious issues like my neck and head that got a bump (My car did a end over end flip and I hit my head against the roof).

Yesterday morning, when I awoke, I found that my jaw was very swollen and for some reason...the pain only started that afternoon. There is no doubt it's an absess...so I was forced to make an appointment....

Now, I will have to face the dentist and tell him that my teeth is in a VERY bad state. I am going to see the dentist tomorrow morning at 8...

My thaughts on how to explain my irrational lack of care for my teeth to the dentist...

It's an un-explainable/irrational vicious cycle. I go to the dentist, whom fixes up my teeth, which inadvertently causes me severe pain for weeks after due to the fact that the dentist had repaired a broken tooth, so now there isn't enough space for all of them. During this period, I would take care of my teeth properly by brushing, flossing and so forth untill the moment my teeth can't take the pressure any more and one would splinter or crack. Then I would stop taking care of them because I am afraid that more will go wrong and I don't want to see the dentist so soon after the previous visit. Also, I feel as if tho it is my inadequacy at taking care of my teeth that leads to these problems and that I am unable to take proper care of them. Eventually I go into a downward spiral and end up in denial over the state of my teeth and just plain ignore them. That is, untill the next major dental catastrophy occurs, like for example an absess or broken tooth, which forces me to go and see a dentist, which makes me feel guilty, nervous and judged over the state of my teeth and it all starts over from the beginning again...

Apart from that:

- Gas makes me throw up and I had a very bad experience as a child whereby I threw up while the dentist had his hands in my mouth.

- I have a connective tissue disorder, namely Marfans, which they only found out about this year. It caused crowding of my teeth and serious pain for weeks after I had seen a dentist...so up untill now, they would work on my teeth without knowing the reasons for the odd root structure and raised palette causing me extreme pain by restructuring my teeth the way they "should" be.

- I gag when they place the flouride mould into my mouth and absolutely abore the taste.

- I cant stand the feel of the "buffing" instrument they use to whiten/clean your teeth with afterwards

So...that is my story, my situation and my current fate...

Wish me luck and keep me in your thaughts as I face my fears tomorrow...

Much good luck to you tomorrow! :XXLhug: There will be many people here whose thoughts will be with you.

Thanks Sofia,

It's really appreciated

So sorry to hear about the accident! Hope you weren't harmed too badly with that and I can only imagine the pain you're in with the abcess. Have you told this dentist about the connective tissue disorder? I'm not an expert on this but maybe they have heard of it and there's other methods of doing things to help keep you pain free.

There's other ways to relax that doesn't involve gas and I'm sure if you took around the site or asked in Dentistry Questions someone would help you!

You said you can't stand the sound of one of the machines? Maybe you could take an i-pod or some form of music to listen to while they see what's wrong? I have feeling tomorrow they'd just look over what needs to be done.

Good luck tomorrow and I hope it all goes pain free. :XXLhug:

Hi Serath and welcome. I just wanted to add a couple of comments. First, if you threw up from laughing gas it may have been because it was given to you incorrectly. I recently was told by the oral surgeon that if the gas is given to quickly, people tend to puke. I have had gas umpteen times and never had that happen, but never knew that was a possible 'side effect'.

Secondly, when I get my teeth cleaned I opt out of the 'buffing' part. I can't think of the name of it, but basically the hygenist has a heavy-duty spray instrument that swishes baking soda and water in my mouth to polish the teeth (think of it as sand-blasting your teeth lol). It's great, and you leave with a clean mouth instead of the gravel crud paste left over from normal buffing.

Hope that helps.

Back