• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad bite from new partial

DejaVu2U

DejaVu2U

New partial, needed to be ground alot, to fit, is it too much?

Hi all,

I'm new, here, and just got over 4 years of dental phobia. I had three teeth, break.
a dentist from India, working in the US, had pulled the nerves out of(partial pulpectomy I believe my new dentist said), only he never told me. I thought I was done, with the whole thing. Two years later I bit into a pizza and all three teeth broke. Imagine my horror. When I called him, he said oh that's right you were to reschedule. I said how come you never told me? He said I never asked. Huh? I'm the patient. I should have been told by him via the receptionist, if I needed to reschedule. I would have to make sure I did, so I wouldn't loose any teeth!

I've had a root canal (or two ) in the past, which is what started my phobia. I didn't get enough novicane, and I felt it. I told that dentist, who said I gave you plenty. He waited 10 minutes, more then proceded, I was still feeling it, and told him, he said I'm nearly done today. I just sufferered, through the last fifteen minutes of that. I found another dentist to put the crown on. This preceded, the incident above, which confirmed my fear, that all dentists hurt people, in one way or another.

Anyway, I was trying to do the best I could while I learned to smile without showing my upper teeth, and talk so they didn't show.

It took an abcessed tooth, next to one that was broken, to drive me to find a new dentist, I could trust. I found her. My first female dentist, and she is a great dentist, and her personality, and kindness, has been, what made me not afraid, she always waited for the numbness to set in, when it takes me like 20 minutes to be ready, to have teeth drilled or pulled.

I'll put a recommendation for her, on the proper board.

I got the broken teeth pulled, the rest fixed, and a now have a partital.
She has adjusted it three times, and told me it will need more, as my gums heal. The bite still doesn't seem just right, and I'll be going in, for another adjustment.

When I was cleaning it last night, I noticed that the pink is showing, in the middle of where the teeth, are in the partial, from lots of filing, on her part to get it to fit.

I feel the place that made the partial, must have, messed up.
I've heard adjustments, need to be made, but to grind all the way through the teeth in the partial(I have small teeth on the sides, so those in this partital, are small to begin with, maybe under 1/4" in depth and only just as wide across.

It feels close, and she also had to reduce, a few bottom teeth.
Am I right to ask for a new denture to be made, that fits better, and doesn't have pink showing where the teeth are?

I have 5 teeth in the partial as the tooth next to the 2 on the left, which abcessed had to go, and one on the right
(from not seeing a dentist in more then 4 years) Rather then pay to get them a root canal, I just figured I'd have her pull them, and add two more to the partial, I knew I'd be needing anyway.

I could upload a pic of it, to show what is going on with it if that would help.
thanks!

DejaVu

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to this board. Good that you have a dentist whom you trust but what I would say to anyone is, if you are at all unhappy with anything you shouldn't have to put up with it. If you are not happy with your partial, if you think the bite is off, then ask your dentist if adjustments are possible. If not, then perhaps a new denture but though I'm no dentist I would assume that adjustments should be able to be made to correct the bite. Best of luck.

Hi scaredstiff,

Thanks for the welcome. She will adjust it with no problems at all.
It is close now, so one more, might do it.
It just that now, when I smile, smaller people like my fiance' can see the pink.
[One person looking up at me(I'm 6' 5" tall) saw the pink, and said I have gum or something like that stuck in me teeth.

This is a bit embarassing. before I couldn't smile, and now if I do, those short enough to see up inside my mouth, notice(my gums color) pink in the middle of the three teeth on the right side of the partial.

I'll mention to her, about it being adjusted, and maybe, it needs to go back, to have more white added to the area, where she's having to ground down?

This thing was $1600 and it fits my gums & pallet like a glove. That they seemed to have made it's bite lop sided(my bite isn't higher on my right then my left, according to my dentist) is what bothers me.

Thanks again, to anyone else for any other input.

Dejavu

Last edited:
Back