• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Next Appt in 1 Hour !!!

A

Anniebea

Panic

I am in a complete mess........I have needed to return to the dentist for the past 6 months, I plucked up the courage to go when I just knew that if I didn't then I would be in BIG trouble.........instead of doing the filling he gave me a very gentle check up and chat and said come back for the filling.....yep you guessed it i never went back !!!

Now I am in the state where last night HALF of my molar literally dropped off in my mouth :scared: it has gone down the gum on the inside (why doesn't it hurt !) instead it just feels awful. I know that I have to go otherwise I will end up in agony, I can't chew because I have a broken tooth on the otherside as well.

I am simply terrified, I know my fear is irrational, but I feel physically sick at the thought and can't stop shaking, I was brave enough to make an appointment for Friday morning. This is a new dentist to me and comes highly reccomended for being kind, but it still doesn't help..............my terror and fear goes back a long way............where do I begin :hidesbehindsofa:

unless this man is a miracle worker then it will have to come out, but how can he managed to grab hold of it in order to pull it, there isn't much left :redface:

Re: Panic

Hi, I've been right in the same boat as you with no "side" left to eat on. I've been slowly getting work done because even when the pain isn't super sharp it's still there low grade and I am so sick of it.

I'm scared to death of getting Dental work done too but I think little by little the fear is getting better.

I hear that a broken tooth can be easier to extract than an intact one. I don't know the particulars but it made sense.

The fear is worse than the appointments most of the time. I go in next Tuesday for two more extractions and a temp flipper and the closer it gets the more the fear is creeping up on me but I'm still excited to get these out because it's literally been years they have been causing me pain.

Find something you can say to yourself during the appt. like " I am fine and he/she will be done soon" or " I am ok" or whatever to keep your mind in a positive note and distracted. It really helped my first couple of visits.

Will you be using any gas or sedative for the appt?

Hi Anniebea
:welcome: You've come to the right place.
Is this dentist the same one you saw 6 months ago or a different one? The best way to overcome your anxiety and fear is to find a dentist you like and trust; but given your current problem and the good feedback you have received it sounds like a good plan to get it seen to as soon as possible, even if you don't keep them as your permanent dentist.

Given that you expect sth to be done at this appointment - what in particular scares you the most? This section has good solutions for all the common fears:

If it helps Gordon the main dentist who answers questions on here always says that the broken down teeth are the easiest to remove - the opposite of what you might think...they 'wiggle' all teeth out rather than 'pull' and the 'crown' just gets in the way.

It may also be possible to save your tooth with a crown or similar so keep an open mind.
Remember you are at a disadvantage because you have an immediate problem but you are still in control and if the dentist you see, does not make you feel comfortable, you can choose to end the consultation and look elsewhere.
Hope this helps a bit.:grouphug:

I don't know if this helps but I had 14 teeth extracted and more than half we're broken to the gum line and those we're the ones that came out really easy...and ...a fiew had the gums grown over what was left of the tooth and again those were the easiest to get out...you will be fine and we are so proud of you for making the appointment and dentestry has come a long way and it is amazing what they can do and painless.

I am sending positive vibes your way...you'll do great.:)

Thankyou so much, yes it is the same dentist as I saw 6 months ago, but he is new to me, he seems very nice and the girls there are lovely, mind you he is drop dead georgious so my bottom jaw will probably drop open when I see him again anyway :giggle:

No I don't have anykind of sedetive on hand to help, but I have been taking a homeopathic remedy and also I'm taking the Kalm herbal tablets which actually seem to be working slightly.

That is a good idea to tell my self that I am ok, both my mum and hubby have offered to come with me but unless they can sit in the chair for me then I would prefer them to stay at home.

I have alredy told the dentist that I would love to be in the position where I only visit every 6 months....................he said that every 12 months would be ok :)

The last time I was at a dentist, the deadening stuff leaked from the syringe and ran down my throat, and nearly made me physically :sick:then one time it wouldnt deaden............I had 3 milk teeth just pulled out when I was young with no pain killer!! one of which the gum had grown through, then I went through years of braces on my teeth..................I really don't think I have ever had a good experience and my fears have just grown and grown.

I am so pleased that I have found you all and the support is just brilliant, I just want to come out the other side of all the dentistry work, over come my fears and get on with my life :cloud9:

Thankyou so much, yes it is the same dentist as I saw 6 months ago, but he is new to me, he seems very nice and the girls there are lovely, mind you he is drop dead georgious so my bottom jaw will probably drop open when I see him again anyway :giggle:

This is a great start seriously - you've already met him and he was nice and he's goodlooking too:-*. Your childhood experience is unlikely to be repeated..basically you don't let them work on you unless you are numb...you are in control. I think you'll be fine...why not take OH or Mum along just as moral support in the waiting room and to save you stressing about getting there on time or whatever. Let them take the strain.

You are perfectly in your rights to have them come in the treatment room as well but as you know he's nice, the trust may build more easily if you go in alone. Your choice though.:grouphug:The fact you noticed he was goodlooking sort of indicates you are not as phobic as you maybe think :ROFLMAO:.

Couldn't miss the fact he is testosterone on legs!!! I just thought 'Oh no this is going to make it harder' I don't want to appear a fool ! I rang them again today and unfortunatly they don't offer any sedation...the reception just said that I would be fine.......this is the woman with the sparkly white teeth grinning at me LOL

I really want to be brave and am doing things today to try and get my mind off tomorrow, one of my horses has a badly cut leg and needs stiches, yep I think that will take my mind off for a while :o

Couldn't miss the fact he is testosterone on legs!!! I just thought 'Oh no this is going to make it harder' I don't want to appear a fool ! I rang them again today and unfortunatly they don't offer any sedation...the reception just said that I would be fine.......this is the woman with the sparkly white teeth grinning at me LOL

I really want to be brave and am doing things today to try and get my mind off tomorrow, one of my horses has a badly cut leg and needs stiches, yep I think that will take my mind off for a while :o

It needn't make it harder...provided they are kind as well as goodlooking, it acts as a great distraction trust me :ROFLMAO: - men are just as bad about 'attractive' dental nurses or female dentists too. If he is charming and competent, you really don't need sedation...however most dentists can offer you valium or sth or your GP can prescribe it instead just to relax you a bit....if you think you really need it.
Don't try to be too brave - say hi, remember me?, thanks for being so kind last time...I really need your help now but I'm still very scared...can you use numbing gel or can you explain everything to me as you do it...or whatever.. state what you think you need him to do to make it easier for you...or just go with the flow but don't try to hide your fear. Do try to relax because you can't feel anxious and relaxed at the same time..physically impossible.

I will try that Brit thanks, I am begining to feel a little better about tomorrow and I know that I will come out of it alive!
In fact I will be walking on air, my appointment is 10.30 so thankfully I don't have all day to think about it either :)

good luck wuth the appointment i have mine aswell on friday morning but not until 11.45 so will be thinking of you good luck

It is late on thursday night, and I am all alone and thinking about tomorrow......I actually feel strangly calm....I put this down to Kalm herbal tablets and Argent Nit homeopathic remedy, and of course all of you for your support this past couple of days.
I know I will keep the appointment and go through with whatever happens, I remember that I am in control and not the dentist.

I was actually talking to some of the dentists clients this evening and they have nothing but good words for him, evidently if you signal him to stop he does, he is always topping up the deadning stuff and even invites you to rinse your mouth out frequently during a filling and take a short break before he continues.....he seems lovely and I am sure I am in capable hands. I will check in tomorrow before I leave to see how you are all doing. Thanks so much for all the kind words and thoughts :XXLhug:

I was actually talking to some of the dentists clients this evening and they have nothing but good words for him, evidently if you signal him to stop he does, he is always topping up the deadning stuff and even invites you to rinse your mouth out frequently during a filling and take a short break before he continues.....he seems lovely and I am sure I am in capable hands....

He sounds like a phobics dream :cloud9:. You'll be fine I'm sure :grouphug:

Good luck tomorrow. I also have quite an attractive dentist. It is definitely a plus and something else to think about while the dental work is being done!

you will do fantastic tomorrow....try not to worry ...you will be in my thoughts and we are all with you in spirit:hug2:

Thanks guys, I feel slightly nervous and am trying to keep busy, I thought I would come here to read some encouraging thoughts :)

Hello Anniebea, reading your few posts I think you have completely the right frame of mind and you are going to do fabulously. I am positive that even those who say they aren't scared of the dentist still feel a degree of nervousness before an appointment. But, what you are experiencing at this time is I feel completely normal, but you are sensible and know that in a few hours time you will be back on this site telling us how well you did. As you say yourself, you are in control and even if this is your first appointment and you may have something done, rather than just consultation, you know that you can stop at any time. Dental appointments are all about the patient, keeping him/her in a comfort zone. So, all the best for today, and can't wait to log in and see your posting after the appt.:grouphug:

I'm here and still alive :jump: and what is more I officially :-* my dentist.
I still have my tooth, he advised a root canal filling also he filled the tooth next to it while it was dead...........and do you know what ?? I trully never felt a thing!!

First of all he placed this funny tube thing with a red tip on my gum where he planned to inject for ages.....then he slowely injected, talking to me all the time, I was aware of it but it didn't hurt, both him and his nurse were very supportive and listened to my previous problems I had with dentists.

I spent 1 hour and 20 mins in his chair!! as when he started drilling he discovered that I actually had 2 nerves!! anyway most of the major stuff was done today and I have to go back in 2 weeks time for another drilling and the final filling.

I couldn't stop thanking them both, I never gagged once becasue the nurse was SO good with the hoover !

I will now go back every week until my teeth are up together, he said that I actually only need 2 or 3 more fillings and a good clean...........I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, your help here has been invaluable to me

I would also recommend my dentist to anyone who is terrified, his name is Seamus O'Donoghue and his practice is in Schull, County Cork....he actually admitted to me that he hates going to the dentist himself :)

:jump::jump:Wow! Amazing! :jump::jump:

Could you post your recommendation to Dentist rewiews so more people can find it?

Certainly will do :)

2nd part root canal filling today

I'm off again this morning to get the second part of my filling done...........where has my confidence gone!!! I walked out of his surgery two weeks ago eager to go back again :jump: today I feel worried and anxious, I kinow this is a stupid feeling and it will pass, I think I am also very hormonal which isn't helping, I will let you know how I get on :thumbsup: