• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Made the first call

A

akme

Hi all..newby here *waves*

Havnt been to the dentist in 16 years (or more)
Have always hated my teeth.
The last dentist i went to made me hate my mouth and self so much...its just been downward from there.
Pretty much all of my remaining teeth will need to come out.
2 nights ago i lost 1 of my front teeth and now i cant even speak right. Eating has become very hard.

Called nhs, but they said because i wasnt in any pain i would have to find a normal dentist.

Called this morning, but now have to wait until the 13th of october for my first checkup :(

Im very scared. But doing this because i dont want my partner to have to look at me like this with black or missing teeth :(

What can i expect from the first check up? Will it just be a look in my mouth and then tell me how bad i am and how stupid i have been?

Im pretty sure all of them will need to come out..Could that be done in 1 booking or would i have to keep going back to get more taken out?

I just want it all over and done with.

I dont want to go into work with only 1 front tooth...but i cant take over a month off on sick...oh well..my own fault i guess.

Welcome to the site and congrats for making that very difficult first call! :jump:

I can only speak from experience but my first visit back to the dentist after several years was the dentist looking over my teeth and taking some x-rays. I doubt they'll do any sort of work on the first visit. They'll probably just do the above and tell you what needs to be done.

Don't think all of your teeth will need to be taken out! Nowadays dentists can restore a lot of teeth that we think are unrepairable.

:XXLhug:

My first appointment was just a chat and X-rays. (not the ones you have to put in your mouth)
I cried the whole time and didn't need to sit in "the chair".

thanks for the replies :)

Feel a bit better now.

Just wish it was sooner..im on a mission to get my life back..and now have to wait :(

Seen as i think they will all need to go..would i be better seeing if i could get it done at hospital rather than a dentist?

I'm not sure what could be done at a hospital but is there really no way you can get an appointment sooner? I just feel bad you have to wait so long!

Called around all the dentists in my city.
None were taking on nhs patients

Called a few helplines and they gace me 2 numbers...both were about 4-8 weeks waiting times

sucks really

Welcome to the board. (waves back) It's hard to have to wait when you get your mind set to take action, but this waiting time doesn't have to be wasted. There's a lot of really good information on this site about what will happen at the first visit and on the procedures that a dentist might recommend. If you think of this time as doing research, it can be valuable. You can go to your first appointment armed with correct information and a list of questions for the dentist which will make you feel less vulnerable and more in control.

I have an evaluation appointment in about 3 weeks, and this is what I'm doing. It really has helped to make me feel more in charge of what might happen.