• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fear of Sleeping Because of Grinding/Clenching

P

punkchica321

Okay, so I don't know if I clench or grind my teeth in my sleep, it doesn't always happen. However, for some reason for the past week I've been scared to go to sleep in fear of waking up and see that I've broken a tooth or something. :( It stinks because I get to bed around 5 in the morning now when I just can't keep my eyes open anymore, and I have to start getting up early tomorrow because I start school again...

Sorry for the rant, I just had to say it. :( Has anyone else had this fear?

I can't say I have this fear but you could get someone to watch you sleeping and see if you actually grind your teeth so you can get a mouthgaurd or something.

I doubt anyone would stay up long enough to watch, but that is a good idea. :p Though I'd feel uncomfortable for someone watching me as I slept. o_O I plan on getting a night guard though, hopefully sometime soon.

I don't think I would like it either..:ROFLMAO:

But Andrea, I watch you sleep all the time! :devilish: And some good ways to tell if you've been grinding is if your teeth are noticably flat on the bottom (they are on my right side where I clench down) and you wake up with your jaw or teeth aching.

The dentist should be able to tell you I'm sure!

o_O What the....you're like Edward from Twilight Debbie! *Cries*

But yeah, I'll ask...when I go...:(

I have exactly the same fear....I know I grind my teeth, I am in pain when I wake up, and I have "caught myself" whilst just falling asleep or just waking up. I don't know how true this is but I have heard that teeth grinding can be linked to sleep apnea (?sp), something to do with not being able to breath properly in your sleep due to improper control of sugar. Also a high intake of caffeine and stimulants can increase the likelihood of grinding teeth.

I know this could well make sense for me as I do eat too much sugar in my diet. My sister used to suffer the same thing and now she has a very healthy lifestyle and doesn't seem to suffer from it any more.

After a bit of research, I have found that this grinding of your teeth is known as Bruxism, there is a wikipedia article on it.

Hope this helps, I am having difficulties with the lifestyle changes I know I need to make but will keep perceiving.

By the way, I should point out, I am in no way an expert or a dentist and this is just my opinion but hope it helps.

Lawick

Back