• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Patronizing Dentist.

S

smakelijk

The last time l visited a dentist was 6 years ago when l was 18 and under my parent's insurance plans. Since than,l have not been to the dentist.

The experience was just horrible and embarrassing to say the least. I was scheduled to have a regular teeth cleaning, but it turned out,my gums was a bit infected.
When he saw my mouth he talked down on me like a 5 year ago about why l don't practice good oral hygiene, and gave me a good ole' scolding in front of the nurse w/ a "l am better than you" tone of voice. He kept saying "it's awful,it's awful", and even gestured another nurse to come over and " take a look" at my mouth,which made me feel even worst. This so called dentist was so patronizing and demeaning that l considered walking out,but just didn't have the courage to at the end.

This whole experience had
made me feel shameful and stupid. Recently,l noticed my gums are receding and l know l need to get to a doctor soon,but kept putting it of because of this experience, and also l am afraid the expensive procedures l am going to have. l don't have dental insurance from my job so l have to pay it on my own. This 2 factors are what keeping me out of going.

I wonder if all dentists think that their patients are sub human because they don't have healthy gums? Any advice?

It sounds like you had the bad luck to encounter a class A jerk who just happened to be a dentist, too. Not all dentists are like that, and if you can find one that deals with phobic patients, I think your next experience will be much better.

Hey... I gotta tell you. I went to someone years ago that was like that. You would think I broke the 11th commandment and was going to hell because I wasn't a psycho about getting my teeth cleaned.:devilish:
It's been 6 years since that experience and I had a tooth chip so I sucked it up and found another dentist. This one has been MUCH better..... He obviously didn't tell me my mouth was perfect, but he was candid about problems I had in a way that wasn't demeaning at all.

The moral of the story is to go get yourself a different dentist.... the dentist you had was a jerk, but like the PP said, they are not all like that at all. :) Also dentists are NOT gods... if you don't like the way he's talking to you tell him and walk out. Dr's and Dentists are a dime a dozen, and there is always someone better suited for your care!

He sounds like a complete idiot :mad: - and no, not all dentists are like that. Most dentists do enter the profession because they enjoy helping people. Ask friends, acquaintances, colleagues or family members for recommendations for a kind, caring and competent dentist :)!

Although I'm not sensitive to "dentist shame" I can see how unpleasant that would be. Of the last three dentists I've visited to try and find one that can help me with my dental issues only one was like that. The first was very mellow and understanding, and the most recent was curt but non-judgmental.

I expect there are lots of dentists who are not only interested in "shaming" but are also sensitive to the problem it creates for sensitive patients.

Seems like you were pretty unlucky in your choice of dentist and no, thank goodness, dentists like him seem to be in the minority these days. You don't have to take such attitutude and my advice to you is find yourself a more compassionate, caring dentist there are plenty of them around these days and finding the right one for you can make whatever treatment you may need so much easier to get through.