• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just got back from the dentist.

K

KH18

I have to say, wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Was just an exam and he found no cavities, but Id trade cavities for what he did find. Lots of tarter (sp). I need to do a Periodontal scale and root planning, which he assured me that it wouldn't hurt, would be completely numbed up. Also helped that he had a good sense of humor. Anyone here ever had it done? Wanting to know what to expect, he said that it wasnt terrible but had enough tarter for 10 people (those 10 with little tarter i guess).

Any tips to prep for it? take advil or something hours before? Thanks in advance.

Hi KH18!

Glad to hear that things weren't as bad as you thought but I think you are probably better off having the tartar rather than the cavities! ;) This way you'll get your teeth all cleaned up and keep them intact!!

I had a deep cleaning done but I was under GA so I have no recollection. This may help though: Scale and Root Planning (deep cleaning). We've had a few members who had it done and one may pop on here and be able to answer your questions.

Good luck for your upcoming appt., if the dentist assures you he will make it pain free then I'm sure everything will go just fine!

I asked if he would "put me out" (asleep) but he said they dont do it there and started saying but in ontario... and I cut him off cuz I cant travel well with other medical problems. I think ill be okay with just the numbing, may take a advil or something prior to the appointment for a little extra pain killer and bring my ipod to keep my mind off it. Im just a little worried about the gaps that will form from the tarter removed, the tarter is along the sides of the teeth and my teeth are all touching as of now, would really look weird for a few weeks to people i guess with gaps.

I doubt anyone will notice any gaps.

I had braces in High School. When I got them off I mentioned it to my best friend and she said "You had braces?" :p

Back