• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How do I talk to a dentist about sedation?

L

Local Girl

I went to my regular dentist with a toothache. He x-rayed and found nothing wrong, but suspects I may have a crack in the tooth. He referred me to an endodontist, who I am going to see tomorrow.

I have never had a root canal and am extremely frightened that that is what I am going to need. I have been reading about various forms of sedation dentistry and I want to tell this new dentist that if I need a root canal I am going to want some sort of sedation. (What form I am not sure, but I hope the dentist can guide me ... or maybe someone here can share their experience.)

My real question is, how do I bring this subject up with the dentist? Do all dentists do some form of sedation dentistry, or is that a specialty in itself? If the new dentist doesn't do any form of sedation dentistry, will he refer me to someone who does? Thanks in advance for any hand holding any of you can give me.

I'm in the U.S. (Massachusetts), by the way.

I'm not sure about endodontist as I've never been to one but at my regular dentist my mom just asked if they had laughing gas and they did but it costs extra! It makes you feel very relaxed and like you don't have a care in the world. I had a root canal done with it and had to sit there for 90 minutes in one session, felt like it was only a few minutes! ;D

I would just let the endodontist you're nervous and ask if they have some form of sedation. I highly recommend laughing gas!

I was very embarrassed to take up the topic of sedation, but finally I just said "Could I have some Valium?" and the dentist said "Sure" and gave me a prescription. 10 5mg tablets cost about 10€ in the pharmacy. Not everybody has laughing gas (though that's pretty common) or IV sedation, but anyone can write a prescription for some sedative or anti-anxiety medicine. They won't think it's a big deal, they do it all the time.

If the dentist is offering sedation you shoulden't hesitate to ask because they have it for it to be used so you shoulden't be nervous about asking.

Dumb question ... what does Valium do?

For me I get a tired sleepy feeling and it relieves most of my anxiety.

This link might help if you havent already been to this page

Oral sedation

So how would that work...you go into the dentist and pay for an office visit to get the valium so you be on valium when you go back for the real work?

Thank you for the link about oral sedatives -- most informative. I'm so glad I've found this site!

:welcome: tylezambori! I was thinking a person who would do that could manage the check-up without valium so the dentist would know what to do, and then take the pills for the work. If you can't have the exam without valium, you should get the prescription from a doctor.

I don't get so tired when I take, it's more like being free of all worries, the anxiety is (almost) gone and the world is a nice place again :cloud9:

Back