• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had root canal: How much pain I'll have when tylenol wears off?

D

DNBursky

I was going to post earlier as I was nervous about having a root canal today. Aside from the pain of the novocaine shot into the roof of my mouth, it went well, and was approximately 50 minutes. I took acetaminophen xtra strength (Tylenol) 500MG. I'm wondering how bad the pain will be when it wears off. Hope someone can give me advice.

David

I have had many root canals and have never experienced any pain after the procedure that I can remember. If there is any, it should be mild enough that ibuprophen or tylenol should take care of it.

I ended up waiting a half hour and developed a headache as well as some pain. I just don't want to be dependent on meds.

David

Oftentimes there's zero pain, but it can be a good idea to take ibuprophen as a preventative measure (it is also an anti-inflammatory, which can be useful in this situation, but don't take ibuprophen if you've got asthma - acetaminophen is a good alternative). Some pain for up to a week afterwards can be normal, and you'll be fine to take them for the duration as long as you stick to the recommended dose (see package insert).

Back