• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

firsttime here

E

EMBARRASED2

im very embarrassed about my teeth. i don't even go out or hang out with friends anymore. i want to go to the dentist and fix it but im scared of what they are going to say.

:welcome: here! A good dentist won't judge you, especially if your fear has stopped you from going. Do you have any other dental fears than embarrasment? I don't have time for a longer post now, but good luck in finding the right dentist and I hope you'll get your teeth fixed!

Maybe this should be moved to Support.

Hi there :welcome:,
while the majority of dentists will be keen to help and wouldn't even think of "giving a lecture", of course your fears are justified (been there, done that etc.).
One way of avoiding negative comments is to make sure your dentist understands how devastating you would find such remarks. If you have a dentist who comes highly recommended as kind and caring by other people, tell them (either face-to-face or in writing) that you are worried about what they might say and please not to make any negative comments. If you don't have a strong recommendation, you could e-mail dentists in your area which look promising, tell them about the situation, and see what their replies are. You will find that most of them will be empathetic to your situation, but some may have better suggestions than others as to how they can help you. You will get a good feel for a dentist's personality by their replies.

Dentists aren't mind-readers, and it will make it a lot easier for them to treat you the way you want to be treated if they know about your concerns :).

Remember - you are the customer! Would you feel obliged to buy something in a shop where the shop assistants make you feel bad (e.g. by passing comments such as "my, your bum looks big in this - well actually, your bum is way too big ;D")? I think not, and you have the right to be treated with the care and respect you deserve by dental professionals, too!

Thanks for joining our forum and wishing you the best of luck with finding the right dentist for you :thumbsup:!

Back