• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New and afraid :(

T

TerrifiedMe06

I'm new here! I have a hugeeee fear of dentists! My last appointment, I was getting a few fillings done and threw up in the chair *sigh* Anyways... 5-6 years later, it's time for a visit. I have one tooth broken in half, it broke when i was pregnant with my son in 06. Then an apple, the hard part of it, hit the gum and made it bleed and it's been sensitive ever since. I can chew on that side but just not hard or pointy stuff, just incase it hits the gum. I'm sure i need some fillings, i always have cavities. I have one tooth that completely shattered 2 mons after my son was born. Only a little peice remains. Then i have a tooth, with a filling, that chipped on the back side, so i think that will probably be filled. And just recently, i was eating chicken and bit down on to a hard over cooked peice twice soooo i ended up not being able to chew on that side. I can now, though sometimes the tooth is a bit sensitive, like to meat etc. I'm not sure what they will do to that, but im guessing i will need 1 or 2 root canal. *sigh*

Anyways, my appointment is tomorrow at 9:20am. It's for an exam, xrays and the receptionist mentioned a deep cleaning since it has been a while since ive been to the dentist. I've never had one of those before, just a regular one, even when i went this long without dental care... I have found out that our insurance does not pay the entire cost for having a deep cleaning done and right now we just can not afford it, especially with us moving next month. So I plan to just get a regular cleaning.

I'm completely terrified. I have been crying for 2 days now :cry: I have really bad anxiety. My husband is being really reassuring. He will come back with me but was told he would have to leave once i am comfortable and okay.. which, honestly, won't be until i'm done :whistle: He said we will talk to the dentist and hygienist about it and see if he can stay somewhere out of the way, like at the foot of the chair. I feel like such a baby. I'm so embarrassed too. I know that I don't have to have anything done that i am not comfortable with. I know I can leave at any time, but that doesnt make me feel much better. I've even thought of cancelling and just waiting, but i know that can just make things worse.

I'm really scared :cry: I know I need a cleaning, but i have a really sensitive gag reflex and i dont know how to handle it. Nothing really distracts me from it :shame: I really want to wait on the deep cleaning and have just a regular one, due to money issues and anxiety issues. *sigh*

Anyways.. nice to meet you all. I am glad there is a forum for people who fear the dentist. I am glad to know I am not the only one!

This link might help with gagging. I have a really bad problem with it also.

I have the world's worst gag reflex, and that's what has kept me away from the dentist for 15+ years. I'm going to be getting IV sedation on Monday to do some work that will include a full set of xrays, crown, filling replacement and deep clean/root planing.

Maybe if I start having some positive dental experiences I can beat my gagging problem because it was not always bad.

Anyways, my appointment is tomorrow at 9:20am. It's for an exam, xrays . My husband is being really reassuring. He will come back with me but was told he would have to leave once i am comfortable and okay.. which, honestly, won't be until i'm done :whistle: ist. I am glad to know I am not the only one!
:welcome: You've definitely come to the right place. It is great that your husband is being so supportive and I can't for the life of me see why he can't stay with you the whole time if that is what you want to feel comfortable. You can tell your dentist/hygienist that in the UK that would not be an issue..both kids and adults have a right to a support person...the only exception would maybe be if you were having i/v sedation or once you were under a GA....they could stay whilst you were being 'put under' though.
It would be sensible for him to stay out of their way and also not interrupt their dialogue with you unless you need his asistance because you are struggling to verbalise for some reason.
If they really won't let him stay, then I venture to suggest they are not the best choice for you......you need someone to work with you, not against you.
I'm sure it will all turn out better than you expect...will your insurance cover other treatment but in any case it will be a relief for you to know what is desirable even if you have to save up and have work done in stages.
If your gums are suffering already, then a deep clean would be worth doing as preserving your gums is the most important thing really. Obviously if your funds are limited, you need to prioritise...maybe gum health and pain relief being the two most important aspects.
Good luck :grouphug:

Thanks guys!!

I made it to the dentist! They didn't do a cleaning today, just an exam and xrays. My teeth aren't too bad and i got all 2-3's on the bone density thingy check, and only 3-4 #4's. I am going back on Monday to have the cleaning, it will have 2 sessions. Monday will be where they take that water pick water thing and spray your teeth. She said it would only take her 30mins or less to do it but she would fill me in for 50mins incase i need to stop alot and take a break etc. The next appt will be oct 2nd for the finishing of the cleaning, the buffering etc.

I need some fillings, which is to be expected. Not sure how many (will go over this stuff again on monday) and i need 2 teeth that are broken, pulled. I will have both or 1 done on Oct 14th (1 is in half there and the other one has only a little bit of a tooth there.) I am worried about that but my husband can be with me for the cleanings and pullings. They will make sure I am numb and comfy and they mentioned prescribing me valium to take the night before and the morning of the appt.

The rest, i think she mentioned 2 root canals, i'm not sure. My friend called in the middle of talking with the dentist bc she slipped and fell and is pregnant. She was babysitting my son so luckily we were pretty much done with the appt. She is okay though.

So on monday i will go over what is needed. Our insurance sucks. We will have pay $675 for just 1 crown and they have that I will need 2 of them.. some other stuff that costs 220$, im guessing they are root canals, and then some other 150-100$ and below stuff, im guessing fillings... really no idea though.

Since we are moving next month, we've decided to do the cleaning and the extraction and worry about anything else later once we're in the new place and have some money saved up. I will probably get the fillings before the really expensive stuff though.

Other than that, they were really understanding and nice. The hygenist said i can have as many breaks as i need and we will go at my pace and if anything hurts, she will stop etc. They are offering my numbing stuff on monday, but she said it won't taste good :(

I loved your comment about throwing up in the chair. I never did that but as a kid, I had a dentist throw me out. He told my mother to never bring me back. It was his fault. I was about 5 and frightened and he had no chairside manner. Of course, that was back in the ice age. Dentists have improved tremendously since then.

Re the cleaning. I have never had any pain from a teeth cleaning. Of course, I have good gum health. Sounds like you have a great hygenist who will take his/her time and be patient with you. Good luck.

Hi, Im so pleased you managed to pluck up the courage to go to the dentist. It sounds like you've found one who is understanding of your needs. I too plucked up the courage to go on tuesday just gone. She was very understanding although i hadn't been for a while. I'm now waiting for an appointment to have 5 fillings and an extraction done under sedation. I'm terrified but in know it has to be done as i've been in alot of pain. Good luck with your treatment, we're all here to support you. XX

Thanks :) I think i have a total of 9 fillings that will need to be done (which isnt anything new for me.)

Fluffyjo - you are lucky that they are putting you under sedation! It will be over quickly since you will be asleep! Good luck at your appointment!

Back