• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Disappointed

B

Bertie

After posting that I had seen a dentist for the first time in 50 years and that I had an appointment booked for the remaining 4 front lower teeth to be extracted and a lower immediate denture fitted today - the appointment was cancelled would you believe! :mad: The reason being the denture has not been made yet! :mad:

I got a phone call last night at 8pm reminding me of my appointment today, then at 8.15pm another saying the denture had not arrived and they would call me this morning at 9.15 to let me know what was happening, and that the appointment would now be 10.45 (it was scheduled originally for 9am). This morning the dentist said she was so sorry but the denture had not arrived so everything had to be rescheduled. My impression appointment was 4th September. Today is 12th!

I am now returning to work in a front line job on Monday nice and gappy, although they are not that noticeable, and the dentist said she could do some sort of jobbie - some sort of cosmetic job until my next appointment (which I declined)which is Thursday 18th September at 4pm. That day my husband is returning from business up North so I will have no-one with me - however, as I will stay at work until noon, I will then go home, then go off to the dentist via the pub opposite, where I will have a few double brandies before going over for the treatment! Afterwards I will phone for a cab to take me home. At least being at work will concentrate my mind on other things. I could have had an appointment on Tuesday but my job is not one that you can just take time off for at a whim - cover has to be arranged well in advance - anyway, who knows if the denture would be ready by Tuesday anyway?

Overall I think this situation must be the worst to be in for a dental phobic. Constantly psyching yourself up for the treatment, only to be let down. My husband is almost having a breakdown himself, arranging the finance to pay for all this, along with the stress it is creating for him also = he said my stress is rubbing off on him - that I am "taking it out on him" and is complaining of bad headaches now.

At the very least I think we deserve some sort of compensation - a free check up perhaps when needed. What do you all think? I am hopping mad to be honest, as scared as I am.

So far, although I say it myself, I feel I have coped remarkably well, but now I feel so tearful. Hope next time I post, there will be better news.

Regards

Bertie

Last edited:
I sympathise but these things happen - at least they've kept you informed and they've apologised. Hang in there - you'll get there in the end. Yes, it is harder as a phobic but it's really not worth p****** off a 'nice' dentist over it. :grouphug::sleepyjuice:
Very well done you for getting this far :respect:. Start being mega assertive with the dental profession when you are 'dentally fit' if you want.

Back