• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

i am knew here and so so scared, please help

S

sam08

I do hope someone can help me.
I am absolutely petrified right now.
I was told about 10 months ago by the dentist that I needed deep cleaning due to the bones deteriorating etc, but because I am scared stiff of the dentist I never went back.
To cut a long story short I am going in the morning to try and get this cleaning done, i shake as i write this.
I also have another worry that i hope you will say is nothing, i have above my front tooth on the gum, what looks like a slight discolouration, it actally looks like the shape of the tooth below, if you can uderstand what i mean..
It looks like a , gosh dont know how to describe it really, well, its flat not raised not sure just like a shadow if you like kind of...
I have had this for a long while even when i saw the dentist last year and they didnt comment on it then, but i dont know why i have become so scared and have everything going through my mind that it is cancer etc...
I have got myself so worked up over all of this.
I found this forum and I do please hope you can help me, i would be so grateful
thankyou
sam x

:welcome:
In the hope it puts your mind at rest a bit before your appointment...here's the thread on deep cleaning:

Don't forget to tell them you are nervous and ask for a stop signal so you can take a break whenever you wish and feel more in control of what is happening. Good luck..you can do it..it will be fine I'm sure...let us know how you found it.
If you are in the States, it seems to be standard practice to numb patients up for deep cleaning. If it is only a regular cleaning involved..then that can often be done completely comfortably with no anaesthetic or they can just use gels to numb the gums.
Remember you are the customer..if you are not happy, say what is wrong and see what they suggest...you are free to leave at any point if you don't feel it is the right practice to help you get over your fear. :grouphug:

Hi and thank you for the reassurance on the deep cleaning, I am from the uk...

Do you have any ideas as to what the mark above my tooth on the gum could be?
I am so scared of what this is even though i have had it for a long while and i am sure it was there when i last saw my dentist.
My mind is in a bit of a turmoil righ now....
do you think it could be because of the gum disease.
it isnt sore and hasnt gone bigger it just looks like a creasant kinda shape or shadow....
thanks once again
sam x

Hi and thank you for the reassurance on the deep cleaning, I am from the uk...

Do you have any ideas as to what the mark above my tooth on the gum could be?
I am so scared of what this is even though i have had it for a long while and i am sure it was there when i last saw my dentist.
My mind is in a bit of a turmoil right now....
do you think it could be because of the gum disease.
it isnt sore and hasnt gone bigger it just looks like a creasant kinda shape or shadow....
thanks once again
sam x
Don't worry then based on my own experience UK hygienists are always gentle. I don't know what the mark is on your gum as I'm not a dentist but I'm guessing it could just be soreness/gingivitis - show it to the hygienist and I'm sure she'll get the dentist to take a quick look if she is unsure. A thorough cleaning is likely to make your whole mouth feel better within a matter of hours...I'm sure you won't regret getting it done.
Can I be nosey is this to be an NHS clean or private?

thanks for that
This is an nhs dentist but i think because it was about 7 years before i went back last year they wont accept me untill i have lept up the appointments then i think they put you to nhs, so i am guessing this is private.
I have a picture of my gum how do i put it on here please

Last edited:
[broken link to image removed]

sorry if the pick is too large didnt know how to edit it...
please tell me it is nothing to worry about, i feel sick with fear.....

Last edited by a moderator:
It is extremely unlikely that it is anything you need worry about...probably just part of the condition of your gums...so glad to hear you are getting a thorough private clean...we have been hearing this a lot recently that the NHS clean included in the check up is so basic, many patients have to have a private one even if they are NHS patients.

Hope it all goes well - I'm sure it will. :grouphug:

You will be fine. Some discolorations are just stains. Sometimes the discolorations are gum related, and sometimes they're minor cavities that can be fixed. If it is just a discoloration then you'll be fine because you're getting it looked at soon. I had one of those a long time ago and it turned out to be a tea stain :)

:grouphug:

BTW sometimes dentists use terms that scare the crap out of us unduly.

The cleaning that you mention isn't as bad as people make it out to be. However, your actual fear of the procedure is more damaging to you than the procedure itself so see if you can get a prescription of some kind of calming medicine. Your fear is reasonable and understandable. Let yourself off of the hook though and ask for some medicinal relief from it during your procedure (and before it if you need it)

(xanax, valium, klonopin) If pot is legal in your country then that is a bonus for you :p:-*

thanks annajayne,
it would be great if it was a tea stain....
i cant believe how worked up i am over this, normally i am quite sensible about things....
I have got an appointment to see the dentist about this 2moz at 11:30 and Then i go again friday for the deep clean....ouch!
i am praying the dentist just looks at this and says its all part of the gum disorder and because i have bad erosion of the gum bones....
thanks again it helps to talk this through
sam x

Back