• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tori removal

F

freakout

Hi...me yet again :( Well I went to the dentist for adjustments. The partial was causing some very severe sores on top of the gum and on the tori. He smoothed down what he could (which wasn't much), he then said there is nothing left to smooth down and I need to see the oral surgeon. He wants him to remove the mandibular tori on the left side, but also said I may want to discuss removing the one on the right side as well. :confused:

Previously he was going to have him remove the remaining teeth, but decided to just have the tori removed, the partial refitted and mini implants once I am more comfortable. Somewhere down the road we will probably remove the remaining teeth and move into a full bottom denture.

My questions...do I just go and have the left tori removed, as it is the one causing the problem, or do I have both done, so I don't have to go through it again at a later date. What is the surgery like? I have been told I will want to be asleep as the procedure can be a bit uncomfortable. Not real crazy about being put to sleep, would IV sedation be an option?

Thanks, sorry to be such a pest. :shame:

Has anyone addressed the clenching/grinding problem I vaguely remember you mentioning before?

The reason I ask is that there's a reasonably convincing link between bruxing and tori formation. I'd be a wee bit worried that the torus will reform a while after you had it removed :scared:

Having assisted with torus removal when I were a lad, I think I'd probably want a GA for having one done. You might manage with IV if GA worries you too much.

I would rather IV sedation as I have a seizure disorder and GA worries me a bit. I have had clenching problems due to the awkward bite, but the clenching seems a bit better now that the bite is more balanced. Should I consider having both sides done, or just go with the left side.

Tori removal sound absolutely horrible :scared: I am not at all sure that I can go through with this. Others have said how I am tuff, but I may have found my limit :(

Ah, but they are mandibular Tori aren't they? may as well have both done as they'll heal at the same rate, also, no worse than an extraction really. You're way stronger than that.

:grouphug:

Pars :)

Thanks Pars...I guess I am just not feeling real strong right now. :shame: I am really worried about the GA vs the sedation, the cost factor and the actual procedure :scared: Just bad a bad day overall. Hope you are doing better :thumbsup:

One more thing I noticed last night that concerns me a bit :( I have these white areas on the gum below the partial that are sore...I assumed that they were canker sores, but upon furthur inspection found that it is exposed bone :scared: I rinsed with salt water and when I woke up this morning, the white areas were larger and that whole side of my mouth burned and throbbed. Is there anything I can do for the pain??? Should I be concerned about the exposed bone??

You need to leave the denture out a wee while. Chlorhexidine or Benzydamine Hydrochloride mouthwashes would help prevent secondary infection.
They'll heal quickly.

No point in getting just one side done, if it were me I'd go for both. Seizure disorders aren't a big deal for GA nowadays. It did use to be a problem with the older anaesthetic agents but not now.

Thanks Gordon..that makes me feel alot better...well as much as I can considering the procedure that is ahead of me :scared: I still prefer to get iv sedation over GA, but at least I won't worry as much if he says GA is necessary. ;)

Hey Gordon...bit of a story for you. I planned on taking the partial out last night to allow my mouth to heal. Where is the worst place you can go if you want to avoid an infection???

My brother took my mom to the hospital for dehydration and needed me to go, because he had to get home. Thankfully I had not taken the partial out yet. All the while I was there looking at all of these ill people, all I could think was great place to be with open mouth sores :p

Do you know any brand names in the US for those two mouthwashes you decribed?

I can't think of any brand names off hand. I expect if you ask in a pharmacy you can get them though, those are the "proper" names of the active ingredients so a pharmacist will be familiar with them. I managed to get some Benzydamine in Austria for my son when he had a sore throat. Really cute pharmacist too :p

Hi Gordon...well I went to the oral surgeon today and he said normally he removes the tori in the hospital under general, but due to no medical insurance he would do the procedure in the office under IV sedation. He did say this is a major surgery :scared:

I am really nervous about it now. He said IV sedation would be OK as long as I cooperated :shame: What does this mean?? He did try to reassure me I would be fine and that he would take good care of me, but I am living up to my name right now Freakout. He also said something about a risk of my lip being left numb permanently. How much of a risk is this?

I have to take antibiotics and stop wearing the partial. Get a gum rinse to heal the sores and in 11 days I will have the surgery :scared: What should I expect?

Thanks, sorry to be a pest and a nervous nelly :p

Co-operating as in holding your arm out still for the IV to go in I think. After that your behaviour can be managed by the drugs mostly.

Don't know the risk for sure without seeing some x-rays, but it should be negligible. Just a CYA from the surgeon I think.

Expect to not remember a thing about it after the IV starts :)

Thanks Gordon....not remembering anything sounds good to me :p He just made me nervous telling me this was going to be major!!! But he did say he would take good care of me ;) One thing he said that made me laugh. He explained about the pain and swelling afterwards, then he said he has a really good job most of the time, but sometimes it can be really sh*tty, referring to causing me post op pain :p

Back