• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do curved roots show on x-rays?

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm asking this on behalf of someone else. In the case of an upper molar (second from the back) - if there was a problem with a curved root which would be likely to make the extraction difficult, would this normally have been apparent from the x-ray - the tooth had previously had what was probably a botched root canal?
Thanks in advance.

As xrays are two dimensional, there's only so much you can see with a three dimensional object. Add in the overlapping areas of bone and roots along with angulation of the xray beam, and you can get a mishmash of an image. If the roots curve left or right then you can see the curve, but that doesn't mean that they aren't curved into or out of the image in reality.

It's a bit hard to describe, but I've seen roots that have wicked curves that just aren't that apparent on the xrays. There can be little hooks on the end of roots that just don't show up on the views. If the dentist is experienced with extractions, it doesn't really matter too much as they will get it all out. Sometimes it just takes a little more time and effort in certain cases. You should see some of the doozies I've taken out. There can be these very fine, tiny hooks on the ends of roots which can separate, and you end up trying to fish them out while the socket is filling up with fluid. It can be quite challenging! :rolleyes:

Here's an analogy... imagine a person's shadow being projected onto a bedsheet. If they are standing facing you with their arms and legs outstretched at the sides, you will see everything fairly clearly. But if they turn to the side while keeping their arms and legs in the same position, all you see will be their body form with their arms and legs masked since they are overlapped. Their hands could be outstretched, curved or on their hips, and you wouldn't be able to tell.

Thanks - that makes a lot of sense.

Back