• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared my tummy is actually hurting!

R

Rawien

Hello everyone ... Im 21 years old and havent seen a dentist in 11 years..:shame:

The last time I went to the dentist, I was 10 years old.. My parents took me to a doctor that deals with 'problem' children, since I was so very afraid.. they were concerned I wouldnt sit still through a visit. The dentist gave me a drink that tasted like cranberries, and it drugged me to the point I couldnt walk. The dentist office personel then dragged me into the room and strapped me to a table so I couldnt attack the dentist, and wedged my mouth open so I couldnt bite. During that entire visit I screamed nonstop ...:cry: and it was all over needing one of my baby teeth removed as it was blocking an adult tooth, and to check another drs analysis that I had Periodontal disease...

Now 11 years later, Im facing a dentist appointment in FIVE hours to possibly have an extraction done. I broke one of my molars 3 years ago, and it started causing me pain on Thursday morning. I debated calling the dentist, and after I realized I couldnt eat anything more than broth, I buckled and called the next day.

Right now, I'm so scared of what might happen that my tummy hurts. Im scared I will get into the chair and cry.. or get lectured at for letting my teeth get into such terrible condition. I am afraid too, because it is a government office that the state pays for, that I will get a doctor who is more concerned with emptying the lobby than taking his time to not cause me extra pain.

Even more frightening is the idea that I will go, and be sent back and made to come back later! I know I need the work (I need to eat!) but its just so scary...

Add to that, Im a warfarin (coumadin) patient, and am very scared that I'll have excessive bleeding from an extraction.

Does anyone have advice on how to cope and get myself into that chair? Hours to go and Im still reeling in anxiety... :hidesbehindsofa:

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer :welcome:,

Perhaps the most important thing you can do is to let your dentist know how you feel and what you are terrified of (i.e. being told off for letting your teeth get into a bad state, not being totally numb, and whatever else you may be scared of). Dentists aren't mind readers, and the ones I've talked to say that the thing that is most frustrating is when their patient doesn't let them know about their fears (and having to second-guess what might be upsetting them). So please do let them know - you will have a much chance to be treated with the care and compassion you need :grouphug:.

I do hope you'll be able to get the problem sorted as soon as possible and be able to eat again :).

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dentist at the office is really nice and gentle :thumbsup:. Please do let us know how you get on today!!

Apologies for the late response! Ive been so busy dealing with this (and life) that I have very little time it seems..

So I got my strength up and went to the office. First let me say its a CMISP office (medically indigent, since I currently dont have insurance).. the building was so cruddy and bad :(

They took me back and took xrays, and I actually fought the urge to gag :giggle:

So they sent me back out to wait for the results, and I was feeling okay, besides the fact that it was really run down, until the lady who had been in front of me came out crying. She sat down to wait for another scheduled appt, and I asked what happened. She said she got a shot of novacaine, and when the dentist came back she said she needed another shot, she could feel stuff still. She said the dentist said he wouldnt give in to a druggy (she was a nice lady!) and pulled it while she could still feel. :sick:

When I was taken back again, the dr told me he wanted me off of my warfarin (Coumadin) for 8 days before hed pull my tooth. I told him I was uncomfortable with that, because I have only been out of the hospital for 2 months now. He gave me a paper to take to my rn to talk about it.

The next day the rn told me I should seek a second opinion, that the dentist shouldnt anticipate that much bleeding with my numbers consistantly at 2 (or below!). So I found this really nice clinic, so nice. They said I wouldnt have to be off it at all, and that they deal with warfarin patients all the time. The catcher is, they accept CMISP payment, but only with a referral, basically proving I have CMISP.

Now Im at a loss of what to do. The RN cant refer me, the dentist wont refer me, and my case manager says she only deals with my eligibility. Im lost for what I am meant to do in this situation. I asked my RN and she said her only advice is to see if I can wait until Im off the warfarin, which is in FEBUARY. As it is, Its been almost 3 weeks since Ive been able to eat properly. Atm I can only eat in slow, small, deliberate bites. Sleeping is a nightmare.

How can this be helped! :(

Rawien

Hi Rawien, that second clinic sounds really nice :)!
Unfortunately I don't know anything about the CMISP system. Can your doctor/physician refer you?
Well done for finding the courage to go in the first place :respect:!!

I do hope you'll be able to get into the nice second clinic :grouphug:. Please let us know how you are getting on!

Back