• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Nerve Damage from wisdom tooth extraction??

Hi Emily 6957

Yes I recovered from nerve damage. I could still feel things after the surgery; it felt really really dull. My teeth healed first and then chin last. I think it took around one month for my teeth to feel normal and chin a couple of months. I feel completely normal now. I am not sure if steroid helped though. I took it after 4 days, and I read somewhere afterwards that you have to take steroid within 24 hours. However, I am not sure if it's due to my nerve damage or something else, but my earache has been pretty bad. It's been now almost 5 months, and I still feel ear pressure almost every day (not constant). Still, I do not feel sharp ear pain any more, so I think I am still getting better.

DF

Hi dentalfear,

Have you recovered from the numbness after taking steroids. I amgoing to extract my right lower wisdom tooth next week and the xray showed the root is close to the nerve. I am sooo scared.

Hi, I lurked around this website for a month and read everything related to nerve damage.
I too needed my wisdom teeth removed, and it was really close to the nerve since tooth was horizontal impacted.
let me share my experience.

I'm 29 y.o male. I had braces placed and the Ortho told me, she wanted to "wait and see" if my wisdom teeth would affect me. I didn't want to wait, so I went ahead and went to an oral surgeon for a consult. I visited several the first one who had removed my left side widsom teeth 1 year ago, told me the right side would be difficult and challenging if i wanted to remove it since it was close to the nerve and warned me extensively about the complications he mention " you will be numb for sure, could be days, weeks, forever, why do you want this?" I told him I wanted braces, and needed them so removing my wisdom teeth was needed.
He sent me on to get a CT scan which out of pocket cost me about $150. No biggie.
After it was done, I notified the office and they forgot about me for weeks. So I decided to go to another oral surgeon. I was very impressed and comfortable with the the 2nd opinion. The surgeon stated " It is difficult, but I feel very comfortable doing this procedure, you'll be fine"
- OK after the surgery
Surgery was a breeze, I was put asleep and woke up to my wisdom teeth in pieces. The surgeon stated, he didnt touch the nerve, but he saw it.
Post surgery my lip and chin and teeth were numb, my entire right side was numb, my lip was the worst I could barely speak or spit, drink.
I knew this was because of the anesthesia,but it would wear off soon. I started to take Arnica tablets and hot cold compresses to the area. I was still numb after 8 days. I didn't think it would subside so i started to worry, Around the 9th day I started to notice very subtle changes. My lip would feel like pins and needles, my chin would itch a few times a day.I called and went in for a follow up with the oral surgeon he ran some assessment tool on my chin and concluded " I'm confident you'll be find, just gotta it time, be patient, you'll be fine"
Today, it's been about 5 weeks since my surgery.
I feel about 80% better I still have numbness, to my chin, but only a dead spot around my sole patch, my lip feels numb at times but its much much better than it was. I can eat drink, talk normally, some days i don't even notice the numbness, other days it feel tight and pins. i have regained sensation to my teeth and lip,taste is not affected. Me having braces adds insult since all my teeth hurt and are sore and its hard to differentiate sense.
I've since talked to several nurses and doctors, who all agree, the nerve probably has bruising over the area, and it's trying to activate itself back again. Just gotta be patient, and to massage the area

WHAT SUPPLEMENTS I TOOK.
I Truly didn't start noticing an improvment untill I started to take these
b12 vitamins a few tablets a day- helps with nerve rebuilding and healing
arnica tablets about 3-5 a day- helps with swelling and pain
TUMERIC capsules- probably very underrated, but this helps with inflammation and has plenty of healing properties
- Finally stress, I try not to stress over it. I have a follow up with the surgeon in a couple weeks. I will update how I feel

I hope this helps you,and anyone searching on the web for risky wisdom teeth nerve damage

Last edited:
Hi...
Iam 28 yrs old.. I am having wisdom teeth problem .. Went for consultation to a dentist.. He took X-ray and said have to remove the teeth from the lower jaw.. He said an important nerve is near to the teeth so u ill have numbness for 2 to 3 days.. After that again he said may be 3 to 4 months but may be permanent numbness it's very rare.. We will do the best he said.. Tmrw he gave appointment for surgery... I am getting fear... I'm not able to sleep.. After Reading all of ur thread I am getting so much fear... Can't do anything... Please help

Hello I did this surgery yesterday my lip feels swollen but it's not, how are yours feeling?

Back