• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Calculus working thru gum??

Hello all,
I have also had a very similar experience. I had wisdom teeth extracted at around age 19—two up top and one on the lower left that was impacted. I am now 31 and in the last few weeks of my second pregnancy had the sharp pain begin on the lower left side (tongue side) behind my second molar. I went to the dentist and x-rays revealed a wisdom tooth still there (I thought it had been removed!) which they wanted to schedule me to have extracted. When I showed the dentist the white piece of bone, tooth, or whatever the stuff is cutting through the gums he was quite stymied, saying “Very interesting.” He had me monitor it over the 2011 Christmas holiday and then another one started cutting through on the same spot but the opposite side of my mouth, where there never has been a wisdom tooth. Over the holidays both bits dislodged from my gums after I noticed that the hard thing was movable and I could eventually wiggle it out with my fingernail, since I was in intense gum pain. I was quite shocked to have the piece come out in my hand, about the size of a grain of rice. A couple weeks later the other one on the opposite side was also expelled from the gums and I felt much, much better. There’s a depression in the gums now where the pieces came through but otherwise I feel fine. So much so that I just went back to the dentist and asked him if it’s really necessary to remove the wisdom tooth since I’m no longer in any pain now that those pieces came out and he said sure, just monitor it and leave it alone if I’m not experiencing any pain. I saved the pieces in a bag and also hope to find out some day what the heck the material is and why it seemed that my body just wanted to expel the pieces from somewhere inside my gums. The whole process took about two months. I happen to have great dental hygiene, but I was pregnant, which can wreak havoc on even a “good brusher.” Please report back to the forum if anyone learns more about this strange condition.

I am so glad I found this thread. I had my wisdom teeth out 24 years ago. They were impacted and I had all four out, this went well and after a few weeks I was fine.

Some years later I don't remember exactly how many, I felt something at the side of one of my back teeth at the side as it was the last one on the top, I only have 2 big back teeth because of having a small mouth.
This thing felt like tooth and I thought my tooth had broken and waited for the pain. Eventually I could move it with my finger nail and it didn't hurt, my gum felt a bit sore but I thought that was because I couldn't leave it alone.
I did get it out by putting my nail on it and pulling down, I also used to try and brush in a downward movement to try dislodge it, I did wonder if it was bone from having my wisdom teeth out but never really knew.
It did come out down the side of my tooth though, my gum felt a bit looser than it was for a while, but tightened up, quickly after with brushing.

Reading this thread, you have all described what it was like.

THANK YOU ALL

Last edited:
Taking homeopathy, or using any remedy at the point where the problem seems acute, and it getting better is nothing but an example of 'regression to the mean' which is the tendency for things to follow a natural cycle. Let's say you have a cold. It's going to get better after a few days, but at the moment you feel miserable. It's quite natural that when your symptoms are at their very worst you will do things to try to get better. You might take a homeopathic remedy. You might rub your face with a hamster. Then, when you get better- as you surely will from a cold- you naturally assume that whatever you did when your symptoms were at their very worst must be the reason for your recovery. But it would have gotten better whatever you did, even if you did nothing!

Right, I know this is an OLD thread. . .but you owe me a NEW keyboard.

I spat my tea out all over it when I read that!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Steve

Back