• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared

T

twinkletoes

Hiya

Just found out yesterday from my dentist that i will have to have one of my back wisdom teeth out :cry:, iv been in pain on and off for quite sometime and was given antibitics two weeks ago and i hoped these would work but alas NO..... My wisdom tooth hasn't come through the gum yet and im sooooooooooooooooooooo nervous about having it done, my dentist, who is a very nice man, said i would be better off been put to sleep, which terrifies me even more, is there anyone out there that can say they have been through it and put my mind at ease ...

Thanks

There are lots of us here who can help you with wisdom tooth stuff. I have been through it without being put to sleep, I just took Valium and remember everything. Wisdom tooth surgery really isn't worth it's reputation, it doesn't hurt! My problem was the needle which also turned out to be nothing to be afraid of. I believe there is no need for GA or iv sedation if that scares you. Good luck! :hug2:

I've recently had all my wizzies removed under IV sedation.
It took two visits, because they only took two teeth out each time.

Believe me, if the first experience had been a nightmare, I would not have gone back for the second! However, I didn't hesitate about returning (altho, being a wuss :redface:, I did ask for a bit more sedation - personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the sleeping option :sleep:).

It really is nothing to worry about - heaps of people are getting it done right now :). I think it's scary for us partly because it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience; but it's just business as usual for the dentist taking care of you.

As it turned out, the worst part was all the anxiety before the first time, the little demon inside my head nagging away for days on end :(. If you have several days to wait, try telling it to lay off for now, there'll be plenty of time for it to have a fretting session the night before - try to relax before then. It's not always easy, but if I found myself starting to dwell on it, I made a conscious effort to get busy and distract myself.

You'll be pleasantly surprised when you find out how easy it actually is; and it's gotta be worth whipping it out if it's causing you pain! :thumbsup:

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed 3 months ago under GA. Having not been to the dentist for 30 plus years I was petrified but can honestly say I shouldn't have been. I was put to sleep with an injection, which took about 30 seconds and the next thing I knew I was waking up. Although I was given pain killers and took them I really didn't have any pain, just an ache.

I too was in pain but WOW ...... the relief is amazing!

:)

Re: Wisdom Teeth

Thank you for all your reassuring words, it has really helped me going on the forum and reading everyones messages :), at the moment im still waiting for my letter to confirm a date, i find myself running to the door every night after to work to see if its arrived, but im sure it will be here soon enough, il keep you posted.

Can i ask april ( who had 3 wisdom teeth out ) if you had any bruising to your face, were your wisdom teeth down or still in your gum .....

I had four impacted wisdom teeth taken out last tuesday, I had no bruising and didn't ever have any real pain, just some mild discomfort.

heres a link to how it went:

Mikey, Thank you for sending me your link, im feeling more and more at ease with having my tooth out, but there again im sure i won't be saying that 10 minutes before the needle goes in :cry:... At the moment im not actually feeling any pain after having 4 weeks of agony :shame:, i was wondering if i should call the dentist and suggest i dont go through with it, but knowing my luck the pain would return the day after, is it usual for the pain to come and go .... Happy Halloween Everyone

Don't do that, the sooner you can get it over with the better.:cheers:

Back