• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why won't they take my teeth out?

J

Jayne

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place!

Anyhow, I just got back from the dentist and I'm almost in tears. I suffer from gingivitis due to certain medication I have to take and over the years my front upper teeth have moved forward and spaced out so it now looks like I have "comedy" teeth. Not only that but when I smile or laugh you can see my gums and it looks horrendous. People have asked me in the past if they're my real teeth which as you can imagine is deeply hurtful.

So I've decided I want them out and false ones. I have been told by my dentist that if I have no teeth, my gums won't swell up either so I feel having false teeth on wires is the perfect answer. (I'm only talking about the top front 6). But he wont' do it! He is determined to send me to the hospital for deep cleaning and treatment, blah blah blah. I went through all that years ago and it didn't work so why should it work this time? I don't want a brace as I'll have to wear a retainer for the rest of my life and it won't stop me having a very gummy smile, will it?

Are there ANY dentists out there that would do what I want? They're my teeth for Gods sake, surely it's up to me whether I have them out or not? I'm so depressed, I won't laugh in public and if I smile, I cover my mouth.

Does anyone know of a dentist in the London area that would be prepared to extract my teeth and make me a wire plate? Cost isn't an issue as I'll pay ANYTHING to get this sorted.

Thanks.

You're in the right place Jayne. Sorry to hear about your problems. I take it you are talking about the gums growing over the teeth?

If the teeth are splayed then most likely they have lost some of the foundations, hence the movement. Are they mobile or wobbly though? I can well understand your desire to be rid of them, but the question is are the other teeth sound enough to support a denture? the best sort of denture to have is a metal based one - they are more secure and less traumatic to the gums supporting the other teeth. But dentures do have their limitations, make sure you have researched this thoroughly before you decide on extractions. Important that you should be able to smile though, and yes they are your teeth, so your wishes are paramount.

Hope that helps.

Pars :)

Thanks for replying Pars. :) (I want a smile like that!)

All of the teeth in my upper jaw are solid although the bone is at just over 50% of what it should be. So although I don't think I could support implants, a wire partial would work. And yes, you're correct re the gums growing over my teeth.

I have an appointment to see another dentist in a couple of weeks (he's on holiday at the moment) and I know he's taken teeth out before that haven't been decayed so fingers crossed he'll take mine out!

Oh, and just adding that because of the bone loss I don't think a brace would work anyway even if I did go down that route, would it?

Providing stabilty can be achieved then there is no reason why not. More than likely you would need a retainer though in the long term..

Um, must say though - there's no substitute for your own teeth. A denture will never have the same biting force, and has it's own set of problems - yet most people overcome these difficulties. I do think a second opinion is a good idea in your case though.

Best wishes.

Pars :)

Thanks again Pars. I've just been to see my doctor who said it may be possible to change medication to one that doesn't swell my gums up. :) In which case, I'll go for a brace instead! I'm feeling more optimistic today, thanks for your input! :)

Back