• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help needed now!!!

T

Terrifiedbunny

I have got a dentisy appt for 11.30 today!!!! It took 23 years to pluck up courage & after reading this forum I made an appointment. BUT I am on the verge of cancelling it, I have a headache, feel sick, can't stop crying and do not think I can get through the next hour. I have got some diazepam to take half hour before I leave and my husbands picking me up. I honestly would rather die at this moment than go through with the appointment even though the dentist is only "assessing". HELP:cry::hidesbehindsofa:

Take the diazepam now maybe??? to calm you down. Remember you are in control...if you don't like them, you can leave at any point. You can do this with your OH's help..ask for it. :grouphug:

I have taken the diazepam and hoping it kicks in really soon. I have NEVER felt so frightened in my life . I still don't know if I can go throught with it.:scared: Its not in my nature to worry about anything but my dental phobia is truly awful. At 51 sat here with tears streaming I don't want to feel this way.

Yesterday I felt so alone in my fears and now I found this group..I am 61 and have tons of work done in my mouth including root canals, etc and yesterday when I broke a piece of tooth I fell to pieces..so I guess we are not alone..it is Wednesday..I guess you posted yesterday..let me know how you made out..thinking of you.......Toni

I have taken the diazepam and hoping it kicks in really soon. I have NEVER felt so frightened in my life . I still don't know if I can go throught with it.:scared: Its not in my nature to worry about anything but my dental phobia is truly awful. At 51 sat here with tears streaming I don't want to feel this way.

Even a very young dentist should be able to understand that someone of your age is likely to have had some negative dental experiences in their past and in your case it's just that these have not been overridden by positive ones but it's only a matter of time. With the right dentist there really is nothing to fear.
Hope it went better than you expected :grouphug:and if you did cancel don't worry, there's always next time.

Well I did it!!! My wonderful husband arrived home early and reassured me enough that I kept the appointment. Despite tears all the way there the diazapam kicked in & I made it! The dentist Prof. Nico Louw was lovely, he talked to me for ages before taking X rays and promising he wouldn't "do anything" today. Turns out i need a root canal (oh no) so I'm now plucking up courage to book that appointment but, think it will be better than the pain I've endured for months.
Thanks to all who've supported me, I couldn't have done it without you. I will keep you posted on my treatments etc.:jump:

Back