• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Needing emotional support

B

boudreaub

I finally did it!

After 27 years, I finally went to see a dentist a couple days ago. When I walked in, I could hear some of the noises, and I almost flipped out. However, I stayed and went through with the appointment.

What it looks like is that I need 13 extractions, 3 fillings, and will need an upper and lower partial denture. I'm scared as hell, but I know I need the work done. I specifically chose the dental practice I'm going to because they're one of the few in my state that practices sedation dentistry.

So, in regards to the extractions, I'll actually be knocked out since the teeth are all so bad. Some are just slivers of what used to be a tooth, some are worn in half to what they used to be.

When I was in the office, I felt so ashamed of myself. At my age, why should I be afraid of the dentist's office. When I was told the news of what treatment was needed, I felt more shame, then a little depression. The initial exam was a breeze. Why didn't I taken the time to do it earlier?

When I thought about getting partial dentures, I felt somewhat bad. I'm only 42. To think, had I done a better job at taking care of myself, I wouldn't need dentures so young. Then again, I also would not have had to suffer agonizing pain for days and weeks on end as each tooth rotted away, one by one.

Anyway, I will be seeing the oral surgeon on Sept 8th for a consult to please the insurance company. From there, I make an appointment to do the extractions. Once the extractions are complete, I make another appointment to do the fillings. After that, I make seperate appointments to do the fittings for each partial.

Re: I finally did it!

Well done on making that first appointment: I know just how you must have felt, in fact, the beauty of this site is that we're all in more or less the same position so completely understand your feelings. I too made it to the dentist about 16 months ago after a very, very, but very long absence with the result that I had left it too late to save my teeth. I am considerably older than you but believe me, whatever age you are you feel you are too young for dentures. I had teeth extracted under IV sedation, so felt, saw, heard absolutely nothing, went in with horrid yellowy teeth and walked out with a beautiful new white smile which has changed my life completely.

Don't beat yourself up thinking if, if if, if only I had.. Some people may take the best of care of their teeth and still lose them, obviously they stand more chance of keeping them, but it can happen to anyone and once you get used to your new teeth they really will feel so natural and no one need know they're not your own teeth, unless you wish to tell them.

So best of luck with your appointments, do keep posting here, telling us your thoughts and how you're getting on, it really does help and the replies you get in support really do help to get you through.:grouphug:

I'm 41 and haven't had any real dental care for 15+ years. The dentist says my mouth is not too bad so by the time all the work is done I might count myself lucky.

The most important thing is that you have decided to take care of this problem and I bet you will see it all the way through. When it's done you won't have to think about it anymore and you'll be all caught up. It will be better to have everything fixed than to focus on how you let it go for so long.

Hang in there. Soon you'll have a much improved mouth. :thumbsup:

Well done rbanzai!

There is no need to feel embarrassed or ashamed, a phobia doesn't take any notice of age, you could be 2, 22, 52 or 72.
Believe me I know how you feel, I am 47 and had not had any treatment for almost 25 years and have had a phobia most of my life. Like you I had no choice but to make an appointment and I ended up with 12 extractions under GA.
Truthfully, it was the best decision I ever made, OK I was scared half to death but when I woke up the relief was amazing (still can't believe I did it, and that was a month ago) I can honestly say I had no pain just a aching face which with regular painkillers was not a problem.

I am not over my phobia but I have made a start on the right road. My phobia had totally taken over my life but now I can smile without trying to hide rotten teeth for the first time in years - it's a great feeling :)

Think of how you will feel after, and try to remember .......... theres nothing to fear except fear itself.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I posted for the first time this past August. Anyway, this Friday is the big day for me. After 27 years of not seeing a dentist, I'll finally be seeing an oral surgeon. He'll be removing 13 teeth, including 2 wisdom teeth. Of course, the only way he'll be working near my face would be to sedate me. A part of me is depressed in losing so many teeth at once. However, I'm still a lot more nervous than I feel I should be. I guess I'm posting here right now looking more for moral support than anything else.

Hi boudreaub and :welcome: back!

I think it's natural for someone who has avoided a dentist for so long to be anxious when facing upcoming treatment. Don't worry about whether you are "too" nervous, rather be proud of yourself for getting here and think about how great you will feel to have a new, beautiful, healthy smile! ;D I remember the feelings but support from others who have had treatment or facing appt.'s can go a long way to help ease your anxiety.

Are you having oral or iv sedation? I've heard positive things about both, in some cases the patient doesn't remember a thing and in others they remember little bits but say they didn't care about anything that was going on. I'm sure that you will have a very good experience with it and things will be finished before you know it.

I can appreciate the concern about losing teeth but it's important to remember that you are much, much more than a set of teeth. What counts is what's on the inside. They'll be replaced and you'll soon be smiling all the time showing off your new pearly whites! ;)

You are going to be just fine!!! Sending lots of good wishes up north to you!
:cheers:

Good luck with your visit to the dentist. It is very brave of you to face your fears and those of us who are still working up the courage to do so are inspired to hear people like you taking a big step like this. Imagine how nice it will be to smile freely and genuinely again - I can't wait even though it will be a while for me I think.
Keep us posted!

Good on you for taking those steps!... you won't look back.
I am 41 and facing 8 extractions and an upper denture TOMORROW so I certainly know how you feel.
I won't be sedated... just the novacaine in the chair....eeeeeek!!

I am fearful of what tomorrow may bring but I can't believe that I will have nice teeth this time tomorrow!!! So I am focusing hard on the joy that my new nice teeth will bring instead of the horror of the extractions.
Thinking of it like childbirth... the end result makes all the pain worthwhile.

Goodluck... I'm sure that the joy of your lovely new smile will be all worthwhile.... focus on that!!!!

I believe I'll be having IV sedation done. At least, I hope I'll just be to doped up to give a hoot about what's going on in my mouth.

Well, that's over. Thirteen teeth (remnants, actually) have been removed. I swear, the anxiety was far worse than the actual procedure. I wish I would have discovered IV sedation 20 years ago. I honestly never felt a thing. Here's one more thumbs up review for IV sedation.

Well Done ! :yay:

Isn't it just the most amazing feeling ;D

Back