• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared Stiff in Florida - help

S

Scared Stiff

Hello, I am new to Dental Phobia. I just went to the dentist on Nov. 6th in 7 years and I completely freaked out for the first time in my life. I am from New Jersey and moved to Florida in 1998. I broke a tooth and in alot of pain. I knew I needed alot of dental work done and with no insurance, working part time crap jobs here in Florida I have not gone.

Anyway, I had a complete anxiety/meltdown at the dentist. I suffer frm anxiety and mental health distorders which run in my family. I am not on any meds or see a therepist cause the Mental Health Center here closed my case and several other people.

Being I have no insurance and not disability for my mental health disorder cause I can work I don't get any help for my anxities or phobia which I discovered at the dentist.

Monday, Nov. 10th I go for extensive work on my mouth and I have a gag reflex which the dentist wants me to take a valium. I have trouble swalloing pills as well.

I dn't know what to do!!! Could you suggest something?

Thanks,

Scared Stiff in Florida!!!!

At least the diazepam pills that are sold in Finland are very very small. If you have ever managed to swallow any tablet, you can do it! Take it with youghurt, that makes it easier.

And :welcome: here!

From one scaredstiff to another, welcome to this site. Not only do we have our user names in common but also I have a severe gagging reflex and inability to swallow pills, having to take capsules or even crush pills into a spoon with liquid - yuk the taste! However, there are various methods which can help with the gagging - click on the Common fears button at the top of the page and then down the side you will see the link for gagging which will give you some info. Also I am sure your dentist will talk you through some ways to help.

I wish you all the best of luck on the 10th, I know its hard to do, but do try and relax, and the valium will help in this respect, have faith in your dentist (and in yourself), keep writing here and reading othes' stories as it really does help. Do let us know how it goes.:grouphug:

Back