• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full Extraction & Immediate Dentures

S

Scarlett

Hi Everyone,

This is one terrified grandma here! I am 62 years old and have had bad teeth all of my life with very little dental care. My ex-husband and children had dental care but no money left for mama.

I am now where they can't save anything and everything has to be removed. Because of repeated untreated abcesses in a wisdom tooth I now have a cyst in my jaw bone that encompasses almost the entire bone. They will have to fill that will grafting material, remove existing teeth and cut out stubs that were once teeth. This will be done while I am out via IV. I will have immediate dentures put in at the time of surgery.

I know this will not be fun and am very freightened. I also realize that the dentures alone will take some getting used to after having very few teeth for most of my life. My biggest concern is the length of my recovery period. I am working for a company that is getting ready, probably this week, to start laying off thousands of people. I am a female that is over 40 and a probable target. This is not a good time to be away where I can't protect myself.

So, here is what I would like some feedback on.

1. How bad is the pain after something like this? He is giving me plenty of drugs, but I have problems swallowing pills on a good day. I have to take a bite of something like banana, chew it up, stick the pill in the middle of it, and swallow. Will I be able to do this?

2. How long does the really bad pain last?

3. How bad is the nauseua?

4. In my head I see myself having surgery on Wednesday and being back at work on the following Monday. Is this realistic? If not, how long would I be out.

Did I mention that I am scared? :)

Please share your experiences with me -- good and bad. I am one that like to be prepared for the worst and then be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen. Then, if the worst happen and I am prepared I am more ready to deal with it.

Thanks for reading, I'm sorry it was so long!

Scarlett

Hello Scarlett:

As you read the posts here, you'll see that you are not alone - there's lot of us out there.
If you read my thread "becoming toothless" you'll see I have had a similar thing happen. All my teeth out and then full dentures. It's been almost 3 weeks since I started down to road to dentures and what a change it has made to my life. It started out as a nightmare, and has turned out to be the best thing in my life. After years of suffering with bad teeth, not wanting to smile - everything is so good now.
I don't have any pain anymore and a beautiful smile. I tell you 3 weeks ago, I really didn't think I could get through losing all my teeth. I was so terrified and unhappy.

I had all my teeth removed with just freezing, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. After not going to the dentist of years, I really didn't want to go, but once I started down that road - there was no turning back.

The first day the dentures were in I again thought 'this just isn't going to work - felt like I had 2 shoes in my mouth. But now, just a few weeks later, my teeth really feel like mine and I'm so happy.

Just hang in there, you are doing the right thing, and I'm sure you'll be so happy with the results. It's the beginning of a new life for you.
Denise

Thanks for your encouraging reply.

My dentist has been acting as a go-between for info regarding my surgeon. I finally talked to them today and was told that unless I had a heroic tolerance to pain, I would not get surgery on Wednesday and be back at work on Monday. They said I would probably still be on heavy pain meds then because of the extensive bone grafting I needed, but should be able to go back the following Monday.

It sounds like you have adjusted to the teeth beautifully. Three weeks and they feel like your own. That was music to my ears. Thanks so much for sharing.

Just think, in less that 48 hours I will feel like I have shoes in my mouth!! :) However, with the meds they have perscribed it sounds like I won't care and it will get better fast!! Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Hi Scarlett,

Nothing to worry about. Really! I had all teeth (well, the 17 that were still just hanging in there!) removed, and the dentures (upper & lower) almost comforted the gums after the op. They do prescribe suitable pain relief, but after less than a week, I found them so easy to deal with. I still have 1/2 the packet of the painkillers left over! Speech fine, eating is improved every day, and I can SMILE! ;D 12 months on, I am currently looking to implants just because I am a lot younger, but if you have the choice of your current teeth or your future teeth, you would not in a million years look back & regret it.

Good luck & stay strong. Dentistry today is lightyears advanced from what it once was!

Thanks Moving Forward
Tomorrow is the day. I go in at 10:40 in the morning. I am very nervous to say the least. Maybe scared is best. I'm afraid of the pain for sure, but more afraid about being sick at my stomach. I really hate being nauseous. I'm getting plenty of drugs for that and for the pain so it will probably be okay. My problem is I can't swallow pills. I have to take a bite of banana, stick the pill in the middle of it and then swallow everything. Of course the not swallowing pills is all in my head, but the banana works. I just hope I can do it with all those teeth in my mouth. :) I probably won't sleep tonight. I am sitting here at the computer shaking now. I got my script filled and found out that he didn't give me codine. He gave me morphine. The pain is evidently going to be worse than I thought.

Hi Scarlett :),
best of luck for tomorrow!! Morphine is brilliant stuff :thumbsup:, I had it for a really bad ear infection once where nothing else would even touch the pain (and no antibiotics were available). You can still feel that the pain, but somehow, you're not really bothered by it. Didn't have any adverse side effects from it, either. It's truly amazing.

scaredstiff had some good tips for swallowing pills when you have a bad gag reflex - I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think she mentioned pulverizing the ones that weren't in capsule form and stirring them into stuff like yoghurt :confused:. But the banana trick sounds really good as well! You could have a search for her posts and see what she recommended (unless she logs in in the meantime and lets us into her secrets!).

All the best for tomorrow - we'll all be thinking of you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It just occurred to me that a lot of medications (incl. morphine) are also available in liquid form - if you let them know that you're unable to swallow pills, they may be able to offer you alternatives? Pharmacists may also have some good tips...

Hey Scarlett,
I can't say I've had dentures(or teeth removed at all, thankfully), but I noticed you said today was the big deal. Just letting ya know that your in my thoughts and I hope you recover quickly! *Hugs* Just think you'll be able to smile again and feel happy about doing so. ^_^

-Andrea

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I'm not off to a good start.

Frist, the cyst that was in my jaw bone was not caused by a tooth infection. I was independent. He was able to remove it intact and has sent it for biopsy.

The cyst was lying on a major nerve, the result is that from my bottom lip to mid neck is totally numb. I can move my lip if a really concentrate but can't feel a think when touching that area.

Now for the good news. The teeth look really nice although they will have to re realigned this morning because they don't fit. The bottom one just lays there, even with all the swelling. The other are loose too and the two front teeth don't line up with my nose.

I am eating but had to remove the teeth. My dreaded pill problem didn't happen. I was able to get them down with potato soup.

The pain is not bad. And like letsconnet mentions the morphine good stuff. It does't seem to kill the pain exactly because you can conentrae on whether the pain it stil there and yep, it;s there, buy who carse!!! :)

Even with all the above, I am convined that "this too shall pass" and I will regain feeling and movement in the bottom of my face.

I give many thanks to those who have responded and to all of you that have been down this road and shared your experiences. Had it not been for this list, I would be freaking right now. :-*

Hey Scarlett:

Congrats to you, you've made it through the worst part, things will just get better from here.

Now you will have to just work with the dentist to get you new teeth to fit properly. This will take a bit of time. When I had it done, I dreamed that once my new teeth were in that would be the end to it. But unfortunately it takes some time. It will take a while for you gums to smooth out and find the shape they will be. My dentist says it takes about 100 days.

With me, the first couple of days I had my teeth in, they fit tightly and I did not have to use any fixodent. But as my gums started to reshape, I found that I have to use fixodent to help hold the lower ones in.
I have been to the dentist weekly to help adjust my new teeth - I had a couple of sore spots - but with a small adjustment from him, it was better. Keeping the teeth in helps shape the gums to the plate.

Just keep positive and moving forward - I'm sure soon you will be like me, happy and smiling. I pass a mirror and just can't help but look and smile - hey that's me with that great smile!!!
Denise

Great to hear that you made it :jump::jump::jump:!!!

I hope the biopsy turns out fine and that the numbness will clear over time :). With regards to the dentures themselves, you might have noticed from reading other posts on this forum that it usually takes quite a few adjustments to get them right, especially during the initial healing period where your gums are changing almost daily.

Please keep us updated :grouphug: - well done you and congratulations :respect:!!

I need advice.

I still have not been able to get the dentures in. I expected discomfort. But I was not ready for the needles and knives type of pain. The first couple of days there were sores up there and I figured that was why it was so painful. I have been doing the salt water washes and got the sores healed up.

I try to put the uppers in and it feels like I am being stabbed with a knife and stuck with needles. Is this what it is supposed to feel like? The bottoms I can't really feel because I am still mostly paralyzed down there. I have a feeling that is going to be permanent. There has been no more progress in getting feeling back the last couple of days.

I have got to be able to get the uppers in without screaming with pain. Any suggestions?

It is quite common that some adjustments to the denture are needed during the initial healing period. Have you been back to see if they can adjust them? Then you could also mention the stabbing pain and the progress (or lack thereof) with the numbness in the lower jaw.
Often, people are given a follow-up appointment a week after the initial denture placements, but many have to return before that to get them adjusted.

Hey Scarlett:

Sorry to hear about your trouble getting your teeth in. Have you been back to the dentist to get him to look inside your mouth and see what's causing the sharp pain you describe. It's so much easier for someone else to see inside your mouth.

When I first had my teeth put in, there was a bit of discomfort, but no real sharp pain. I admit that I really wanted to take take them out, but was too worried that I wouldn't want to put them back in, so left them in for about a week before removing them. But again, I didn't have sharp pain, just general soreness and the totally strange feeling of having all that stuff in my mouth.

But every person is different, and you really need to see the dentist - maybe you have a bone spur poking out causing the sharp pain. I have also found that I am so much better about going to the dentist now - another thing I never thought that I would ever say. After avoiding the dentist for so many years, now I really don't mind going to adjust my teeth.

It really is a new experience, getting used to having the dentures in your mouth.
Hang in there - I'll be thinking of you.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Denise

Hi Everyone! I am almost two weeks post surgery and still have no teeth. The top one hurt and the bottoms won't stay in no matter how much "glue" I use. They are going to do a hard reline on 12/3. I have to go back to work on 12/1 so I will be there with no teeth.

But, here is the thing . . . It doesn't matter!!! My best friend of 50 years was just operated on for cancer in her uterus. It has spread to the bone. I was with her at MD Anderson in Houston all day last Thursday for a complete bone scan. What a wonderful place that is. The patients are smiling, making friends, exchanging phone numbers, email addresses, coping hints and just plain old love and support. It certainly made me ashamed of feeling so sorry for myself about my mouth problems!!! My problems are only a tiny little hiccup compared to the wonderful, uplifting people I met!!! It was certainly a day of putting things in perspective!!

Does any one know how to get rid of mouth ulcers? I had never had one until now. I'm doing salt rinses but it's not helping. They will almost all go away and then here they come back. It's one of the things keeping the dentures out. It really hurts to put the dentures in with them.

Take care everyone!!

Hi Everyone! I am almost two weeks post surgery and still have no teeth. The top one hurt and the bottoms won't stay in no matter how much "glue" I use. They are going to do a hard reline on 12/3. I have to go back to work on 12/1 so I will be there with no teeth.

But, here is the thing . . . It doesn't matter!!! My best friend of 50 years was just operated on for cancer in her uterus. It has spread to the bone. I was with her at MD Anderson in Houston all day last Thursday for a complete bone scan. What a wonderful place that is. The patients are smiling, making friends, exchanging phone numbers, email addresses, coping hints and just plain old love and support. It certainly made me ashamed of feeling so sorry for myself about my mouth problems!!! My problems are only a tiny little hiccup compared to the wonderful, uplifting people I met!!! It was certainly a day of putting things in perspective!!

Does any one know how to get rid of mouth ulcers? I had never had one until now. I'm doing salt rinses but it's not helping. They will almost all go away and then here they come back. It's one of the things keeping the dentures out. It really hurts to put the dentures in with them.

Take care everyone!!

Oh scarlett your doing so well! , ive just got a denture ( partial on top ) im 28 and was feeling really sorry for myself too untill i thought about my mum whos going through so much with her health right now i too stopped and thought "hey i can do this and ill still be alove at the end of it , mums still not sure how long shes got"

i really hope you get the ulcers sorted soon etc, and dont worry about going to work without teeth youll probably find people will only ask or look as their worried about you .

shelly xxx

I had 8 teeth extracted this morning and dentures put in (top) pain is pretty bad - throbbing... dr. prescribed hydrocodone... I was wondering can I have a GLASS OF WINE ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

I had 8 teeth extracted this morning and dentures put in (top) pain is pretty bad - throbbing... dr. prescribed hydrocodone... I was wondering can I have a GLASS OF WINE ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Not very good idea, alcohol after extraction. The pain will pass, believe me. Good luck:)

Hello Scarlett:

Just hang in there, you are doing the right thing, and I'm sure you'll be so happy with the results. It's the beginning of a new life for you.
Denise

Hi, thanks for your positive words. I've sent you a private message.
x

I'm reading these posts about extractions and immediate dentures. I realize they are old posts, 2008. This is October 2016. I'm facing extractions and immediate dentures. DENTIST PHOBIA!!! Not been in decades. I'm 62 and now facing this. Never had money and frankly never pushed to use what I had on my teeth. I did try once, wanted everything pulled. The dentist said no. Wanted to work tooth by tooth. Couldn't afford that, and I knew I wouldn't go back so nothing was done. I new my teeth were failing then but he said otherwise. So here I am today, scared, happy, determined, did I say scared? Anyway dentist will youse laughing gas. Is that enough to kill the pain of shots and 16 extractions? I think I'm going to ask him to perscribe an anti anxiety pill to take before the appointment. I'm not expecting pain free but I fear excruciating pain. I can't wait untill I'm on the other side of all this. Any encouragement out there?

Back