• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Benadryl as sedative before appointment?

C

Camryn

Has anyone done this? I am OUT of xanax. The dentist can't prescribe me anymore until I've been in to see her once. I'm going to a neuromuscular dentist b/c I'm having TMJ issues along with major tooth pain. I'm a nervous wreck and I don't know if I can make myself go without something to mellow me out. Would benedryl work or would dramamine work better?

any help would be appreicated.

(I'm dental phobic due to a very tramatic childhood experience in which my dentist put his hand and mouth over my nose and told me he wouldn't let me breathe until I quit crying and if I didn't quit then I'd just have to die. He also jerked my arm so hard it popped out of its socket. He was evil. As a result I have massive panic attacks and a gag reflex so touchy I can't make it through an appointment without massive sedation. Every dentist I've seen since that time thinks I'm a pain b/c of my gag reflex. It's humiliating and horrible. I'm a wreck basically. )

That is a good question, actually. I wonder myself if that would work. Let me know if it works, if you try it. Xanax, even the highest dosage doesn't work for me, don't know why.

it actually worked okay. I made it to the appointment and did really well. I have to have a wisdom tooth out and root canal in the tooth that the wisdom tooth had smashed into.

I have to be on anti biotics for five days b/c I have a wicked bad infection in that tooth. I was begging for mercy the pain was so bad at one point. The pain med (ultram--JUNK) did NOTHING. Got an emergency prescription at midnight for vicodin. Even that didn't touch the pain at all. Didn't knock me out either. I was up the entire night. Didn't sleep one wink. I ended up taking benedryl the next night to at least get me to sleep...which worked. I swear people, don't let tooth pain go until you are in agony. The dentist visit isn't nearly so painful. AGONY. it was so bad. After two the days the antibiotic kicked in thank God.

I have an appointment Thursday for the wisdom tooth and root canal. I will take a HUGE dose of Halcion before I go in. Should render me fairly unconscious! Sedation dentistry is the way to go!!!

wish me luck! Although at this point I don't care about being afraid...I want that tooth OUT. I will never allow myself to get in that situation ever again.

Back