• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Question on Extractions and Dentures

M

Mojo

I went to the dentist for an evaluation and he said I needed to have all of my teeth extracted. I had already guessed that would be the case. When I asked how that would be accomplished, he said that he could do a few at a time or all at once, it was up to me. I decided to have them done all at once to get it over with. He said that was good because that way all of the healing would take place at the same time.

After doing some research on the internet, it seems that the normal course of action would be to extract the top back teeth first and allow them to heal for about 6 weeks, then extract the top front teeth and insert the immediate denture. I read that pulling all of the top teeth at once is "problematic", but the website gave no reason why.

Can someone, either a dentist or someone who has gone through this, give me some advice? Should I not have them all extracted at one time? Why is this considered problematic? I have an appointment on Monday, but I'd like more information before I speak to my dentist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi mojo, just had mine done, over a four week period, first of all he took all the remaining teeth out the back, top and bottom, went back about 2 weeks later to have impressions done, with top teeth still in, then went back not long after for a second impression, and then last friday the 7 november had all the top out, and the immediate dentures fitted in there and then, and feeling great! hope this helps?:jump:

Thanks for the reply buzzbow!

It seems that spacing out the extractions worked out great for you! Was that your decision or your dentist's?

My teeth are in really bad shape. All of the top teeth are worn down to the gum line. Because of this, my dentist has already taken impressions and has made my immediate top denture. I went in last week for a "try-in". They had to be sent back to the lab because the centerline was off. Anyway, I go back on Monday for another "try-in" and, if all goes well, I'll schedule my extractions then. I was just curious if it would be better to space the extractions a few weeks apart or all at once.

Thanks again for the reply! I hope everything works out as well for me as it did for you!
:cheers:

It seems to me by what you say that he knows what hes doing then, in my case i only had six to be taken from the back i lost the rest years ago.so by taking the back out first made it easyer for him to take the immpressions so he could get my dentures ready for when he took the top and bottom fronts out, in your case he as been able to do it befor extractions, if i was you i would have them out in one go, and over and done with, it was no where near as bad as i was expecting i just woke up about 4.00am the next morning with a little pain, just took a couple of tablets and all ok, just keep washing your mouth out with salt water as often as you can it so important, best of luck, and its the best thing i've ever done in my life you feel so much better when you have had it done, and you must have trust in your dentist.:sleepyjuice:

Having it all done at once was exactly my feelings as well! I do trust my dentist and from what I've read here and on other forums, having all the extractions done at once might not be as bad as I fear. That, my friend, is a load off of my mind:).

Thank you for your opinion!
:cheers:

Back