• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can laser dentistry be used to remove lower impacted wisdom tooth?

C

coopercharlie619

I have a lower wisdom tooth that is impacted & hasn't given me any trouble until just lately where I can feel pressure & noticed the bony tooth is pushing into my gum sideways toward my tongue at an angle rather than toward the cheek. It's just uncomfortable, not painful & it definately hasn't come through.
I just wondered if an impacted wizzie like that can be removed by laser dentistry as I've got an option to see a dentist who uses laser or a drill dentist. I don't want to waste money going to the laser guy if they're just going to say they can't do it & have to do it the old way as I'll go to my usual drill dentist otherwise.

Or do I even need to get it out & just leave it?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Although lasers can be used for certain soft tissue surgery procedures, I don't think it would make much differennce in your case as they are not used in 'hard tissue' procedures like extractions. If it is an easy enough job- just use your normal dentist. If it is trickier- then you'd be better of with an Oral Surgeon.
As to whether or not to remove it- go with the advice of the dentist.
Usually we operate by the 3 strikes rule. If the tooth has bothered you significantly on 3 occassions, then we'd prefer to remove it. If it has happened just once- sometimes local treatment will keep it quiet. It all depends on how it looks on xrays as well though- so do go with what the dentist recommends.
regards
Mike

Back