• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fearing side effects of oral sedation...

C

cricket

(Asked about this in general questions and they said I should try over here)

I have a pretty severe panic disorder. I can keep it under control most of the time, but I get very panicky having to sit confined in a dentists chair. I do fine for small things like x-rays and fillings - but now I need more extensive work (root canals and extractions).

I have an intense fear of throwing up and/or passing out.:sick: I had a very bad experience with N2O and don't want to be given the gas again.

I am considering asking my dentist to use oral sedation for the upcoming work.

But I'm afraid the medicine will make me pass out or throw up. Is this very likely to happen?

I would love to hear some other people's experiences with the oral sedatives. What does it feel like taking effect? How do you feel when you start coming out of it? Do I have to worry about eating or not eating beforehand? Thank you so much.

You won't be very likely to throw up. I think I've never heard of it happening. You'll feel relaxed and calm, it's a good feeling. Good luck!

As far as I know, benzodiazepines (which would cover most forms of oral sedation) are actually used to treat/prevent nausea (for example in cancer patients), so they make you less likely to throw up :).
You will also not pass out unless you deliberately overdose on them. They are really very safe when used in the short-term (they do have addiction potential when used long-term, but from what you were saying, you're only planning to use them for your upcoming appointment).

Back