• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tried everything....... no success. HELP!

J

Jeannie

Hi all. I am having major problems with dental issues. Firstly, due to a bad experience and a total fear of needles and medical treatments I have not visited a dentist in the last ten years! I currently have 2 back molars that need to be extracted and another one gone below the gum line. I visited numerous dentists. First I tried valium, then gas, and I then decided to try IV sedation.

So, I went to the dentist yesterday to get my teeth extracted with IV sedation. Having read so many success stories on this forum I was full of hope and totally relaxed for the first time ever at a dentist. The dentist had a problem with my veins, he said they are very narrow and faint. After having a rubber glove tied above my elbow to minimise circulation, clenching and unclenching my fists and leaving my hand in hot water I was ready for the needle! After the failure of three needles to attach the IV tube I gave up. I then tried gas but couldn't go through with any extraction again.

Yesterday evening was spent with my hands in agony, they are bruised and my fear of needles has intensified. Prior to this I had gone to the dentist 7 times and only got in the door and broke down. Please if anyone can help me! I am actually considering hypnotherapy to deal with my fears. I don't know how I can go on. I will have a nervous breakdown if I go back and fail to go through with it again. :cry:

Hi Jeannie,
I'm sorry to hear that things have gone so badly for you in the past :(. I was wondering if you would like us to move this thread into the "Your Dentistry Questions Answered" section, since actual dentists who use sedation/hypnosis/etc. might be better qualified to give you some suggestions as to how to deal with this? Let me know if this would be ok with you!
Oh, and :welcome: to our forum!!

Back