• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Frightened I'll back out again!

W

weeble123

Well after 10 years of fighting this and teeth rotting away,and countless reoccurring infections which have left my whole face swollen I find myself faced with the fact that I can no longer put this off.

After another bout of severe infection I finally plucked up the courage to attend my local access clinic. What I usually do is go to these places, get antibiotics and then don't return to get the offending teeth removed. But this time was different. The dentist I saw pulled out my notes and I think suspected my phobia because after some gentle probing on her behalf had me in tears confessing all. Far from feeling humiliated (I always try and hold it in) it was quite an uplifting experience and she agreed that she would try her best to get me through this.

Here comes the problem.... no matter how hard I try in the past I have attended appointments to get the work done (with various other dentists) and the moment I get in the chair and that injection gets near me I completely freak. I have lost count of the number of times I have bailed out at the last minute. I always kick myself after for not going through with it.

I do trust this new dentist which is a huge step forward for me, and I feel confident she can treat me, however I still can't stop those fears from creeping in. I have to go and get two teeth extracted on the 8th December.The gp has given me some diazepam to take before the appointment (at the dentists suggestion) but I am so worried I will still bolt. One minute I feel confident about this and feel really positive and the next I'm a nervous wreck. Even making the simplest decision on what to have for tea at the moments is clouded with thoughts of dentistry!

I am just looking for some encouragement and support to get me through this. My family don't really understand my phobia and often belittle it thinking I should go and get it over with. I know that's what I need to do but it's a lot easier said than done

Welcome Weeble! (That's fun to say.)

First of all, congratulations on finding a dentist you think you'll be able to trust. That is HUGE!! She sounds like a real gem and it sounds like you'll be able to beat this thing with her care.

Now, for some suggestions.

I think one thing you should do is ask if you can talk to the dentist, away from the "chair" for a few moments before you start any procedures. She will likely be able to help relieve some of your fears and together you will be able to get to the point where you are ready.

It's also a really good idea to have some sort of signal that you can use in case you feel like you need the dentist to stop. This can help you to feel like you are more in control of the situation and help to calm that "fight or flight" response. Many people find it helpful to raise their hand if they need a break. Again, talk to your dentist about this.

Another thing to think about is how you'll feel once you've come through this successfully. At the moment when you are tempted to bolt, try to think about how good it will feel to no longer have this hanging over your head and how good it will be to finally be rid of the pain. Imagine the relief you will feel when this is finally over!

Other than that, there are a number of relaxation techniques that you can consider. Many people find it helpful to bring some music that they like to listen to. Stress balls are helpful. My dentist will actually provide patients with a lavender-filled neck pillow if they would like one. You could think about bringing something like that along yourself, if you think it would help.

I am sure that other people here will be able to offer other suggestions and advice. Stick with it, my friend. There is no way to describe the joy and pride you will feel once this is behind you once and for all. We'll all be here to cheer you on and to help you to celebrate when it's all over!:grouphug:

thank you so much for you kind words of encouragement .

I am hoping I can get over this and have had more support than ever before.

I think finding this site has helped because reading through everyone else's stories I can see I am not alone and people do get through it, which I have found so inspiring.

I am going to try a couple of your suggestions stress ball sounds good as I get very tense in my hands and I hadn't thought of using something like that before. Had thought of taking music, in particular I do not like the noises accompanied by extraction (my whole phobia was started by a bad extraction experience) but then I don't want to be cut off from the world either so haven't decided either way on that.

I will try anything if it gets me through this no matter how ridiculous it makes me look!!

Hi Weeble

I took my IPod and although I could still hear what was going on around me I tried to concentrate on the songs to distract myself from the work going on! So I wasn't cut off but had something I enjoyed to focus on. Hope this helps.
My family & friends cannot understand my phobia either and think I'm a wimp!!! This forum has shown me I'm not and there are others like me. I too have run out of many dentists and know exactly how you feel.

Best wishes
Snow White:)

I also took my ipod, and kept my finger firmly on the volume wheel so I could turn it down when I thought I might need to listen in, and then turn it up when I needed to. It was probably the only way I could have gone through with my recent root canal.
My husband also doesn't understand my fears, so I understand how you feel on that. Not much advice I can give on that really, only that he was very sympathetic afterwards and looked after me very nicely!

Well tomorrow is the day :shame: Got to pick up my prescription of diazepam later than I'm all set for 9am (dentist was kind enough to fit me in early so I won't have to wait all day). I'm absolutely terrified! My worst fear is panicking and backing out again because I know how disappointed in myself I will be if I don't go through with it. But I am also petrified of that needle coming toward me :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Can anyone offer any positive comments about oral sedation?

Also I'm planning to take 10mg, how will this make me feel?

Any support would be really appreciated

weeble, my appointment is tomorrow at 9:15am - like you I chose an early appointment so that I wouldn't have to worry about it all day. I think we are both brave people to face up to something that frightens us so much. Don't listen to what other people say. I have been called all sorts of things from a baby to stupid for my fears by people who don't understand. But they don't realise how much courage it takes to willingly do something that you are so afraid of. I feel really proud of myself for making this appointment. I have hardly slept for a week and have felt frightened all the time, but I still think I am brave for doing it - you should feel proud of yourself too.

I can't really answer your question about the diazepram. I took some once and it made me very sleepy. But I don't know what dosage I took although I think it was a fairly light dose. When you pick up the meds, the pharmacist should be able to advise you.

I am going to take my ipod with me. I spent last night filling it with loads of songs to give me something to concentrate on. Most of them have lyrics so that I can focus on them. I can use them as a time countdown too - if I estimate each song as being 3 minutes, I can say to myself that the treatment will take x number of songs. (Someone else on this site gave me that idea and I think it was an excellent suggestion). Maybe this will work for you too?

Let's make a pact - we'll reconnect on here tomorrow tonight to share our success story. Tomorrow will be fine for both of us!!!:)

'See' you tomorrow.
Good luck.
Anya

I found this on oral sedation on this site:

Hi Anya thanks for your kind words. You are right it does take a lot to face up to your fears and I am hoping that this time I will be strong enough to do it. Your post is so positive and uplifting! I will take you up on that pact and join your here tomorrow night to tell each other how we both made it through to the other side :grouphug:

Good luck for tomorrow by the sound of your post I am sure you will be fine

Good luck to both of you, it sounds like you are both ready to go for it!

I am back from my appointment and I did it! one wisdom tooth and one rotten tooth gone forever!! My appointment was at 9am and I am back home already :jump::jump::jump:Hooray for diazepam is all I can say. Off to bed for a few hours now but will post my success story later

Hi

Well done! That is really brilliant news, I bet you are pleased to have managed to do it.

Thanks for posting, it has made me feel better about my appointment on Wednesday.

Hey Weeble, I'm back too!!! I'll post my story later - I need a little rest now but

WE DID IT!!!!!:yay:

Hi Anya

Well done as well!

Hearing that you both did it has given me so much hope that I can do the same on Wednesday.

Hope you both have a nice rest for the rest of the day.

Hi Holly
It's a wonderful feeling after you've done it!
Anya

congratulations to you both. I have 2 sedation appointments in january, one to have a tooth removed and one to have 2 fillings, i'm terrified. so hopefully you girls can give me some pointers.

For me, the nitrous was the thing that really helped me - I have discussed the relaxing effects it had in another thread. I am very lucky to have found a dentist who is prepared to use nitrous for every treatment (even just cleaning) for as long as I feel I need it. So finding the right relaxation / sedation method is key.

Music on my ipod - I concentrated on the lyrics and this distracted me and also provided me with an awareness of time.

To be honest the worst thing for me was the waiting - I was a complete nervous wreck, and I don't have any suggestions for that. I know next time will be better as I know I can do it now. Just try to remember that you are in control, you can stop the treatment any time you want. I know the relinquishing of control is difficult for me, so it helped to remember that I was in control, not my dentist.

Good luck...