• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP Terrified and a Mess

G

GiaSim

Hi,
I want to say hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday.
Well I did not know where to post all this so put it here hope it's in the right place.
I have very bad anxiety attacks to start with now I am getting ready to have major dental surgery all my top teeth or being cut and pulled then all but two at the bottom.

It is a necessary evil because my teeth have gotten so bad they have made me sick for so many years out of fear of the dentist.
I am so scared I can't think straight and my nerves are a complete and total mess until I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the ER only to find out it was a very bad panic attack.
My heart rate was going up down.
I seemed to be disconnected to my surroundings.

I had a very bad experiences from childhood with a dentist and now this is where I am.
The surgeon that is doing my surgery was very kind and is putting me fully under.
But I can't shake my fear, it's taking over every part of me now I wake up shaking go to sleep a mess and taking more of my meds than usual to control my panic attacks.

Family and friends don't understand they just say.You'll be alright, but I don't feel I will be alright..
I can't back out of this surgery or in few weeks I will be in more pain and with another sinus infection.
The surgeon had gave me something to clam me down the day I go for surgery, but I just hope I don't go into a full blown panic attack or that medicine will do me no good because of this surgery fear.
Please some help or any support or advice.
I know I am stronger than this but I feel like a two year old and I hate this fear.:confused:

Hi GiaSim

I too have had a dental phobia for more that 30 years. I suffered for years with abcesses etc and lived off antibiotics and painkillers but in the end, like you, I had no choice.

I trusted my dentist and, after several consultations, the surgeon he referred me to but it still didn't stop me panicking, crying and having sleepless nights.

People will always say that you are being silly and that there is nothing to worry about ....... if only it was that simple!

I was booked into hospital to have 12 teeth removed and 6 implants under GA. I was asleep in seconds and it only seemed like seconds before I was awake again. I had no real pain just an ache which was controlable with pain killers but the relief was overwelming, like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

That was 3 months ago and my life had been so different, just imagine ..... being able to smile, having no more pain, no more pain killers, no more watching what you eat, being able to sleep at night, not thinking 24/7 about your teeth, just total relief.

I am not over my phobia (and only part way thought my treatment) but so badly want to be especially now I have experienced how different my life can be.

If you read the other posts on this site you will notice that whenever someone gets through an appointment and treatment they all say the same ....... it wasn't as bad as they imagined, it's true, you will think the same.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself, do it, take deep breaths and try to imagine how your life will be .......

:)

April,
Thanks so much I needed your words, I really did..
I'm a mess here.. I know just what your saying to be able to smile and not have a toothache is going to be worth every bit of this.
I will have a full plate on the top and a partial on the bottom.
I seemed to have a found a good surgeon,he is kind to me.
Their doing the surgery his office and I will be totally knocked out.
I guess my fear is now having a panic attack before they get to me but they have gave me a pill to take 90 minutes before. I hope that will help.
I know how you feel too, even if I am scared to death just to be able to smile in picture and not be ashamed is going to be worth this.It's just so many at one time but I had to have it all done while I could afford this..
I may never be able to do this again single parenting is rough.
I have my surgery next Wednesday morning.
Now that I think of it the pain has been going on for years and I have been down the pain killer and anitbot road way to many times..:censored:
I have been ashamed of my smile forever it seems.
Now I have to learn to relax and that's the hard part.

Family and friends do not understand this.
No ones knows how one person to the next reacts to different things.Dentist and panic attacks do not mix for me anyway.
Being put to sleep is also scary.
I was told if I did not do this I would never get well and always suffer toothaches and sinuses infections so I have to be strong.
April you be strong too.
Sounds like your half way their.:grouphug:

I don't know if this helps, but maybe if you tell yourself that one way or another you are going to need to have this done, and it can be now, or after a whole load more pain and suffering. Because you know that you need it doing, and you know what the consequences will be if you don't. That is pretty much what got me in the dentists office, the fact that if I didn't go now the tooth would get infected and require maybe three times as much work and pain.

It's so hard when nobody around you understands the fear. Everyone says you will be fine but they just don't get it. Hopefully knowing that so many of us do understand, and have got through it, will help.

Back