• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hi Im new and like most of you

S

Scaredycat30

first let me say this site is great! I come here often and read all the woriries and success stories and can relate to the worries and hope one day I can get my thread started on the success forum :)

Im 30 yrs old and while I dont think my teeth are that bad I am afraid that if I go to the dentist he will do a cleaning and my teeth will be lose, and in turn I will lose them:shame: I have tartar(calculus) in the back of my bottom teeth and its not a little bit. Im going to add a picture of what it looks like...more or less could anyone tell me if they had teeth like this and what was the outcome? did you lose them, were your teeth lose, did the cleaning hurt? thanks a bunch

Attachments

• 208_calculus.JPG
    208_calculus.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 33
Hi Scaredycat30 :welcome:,
you shouldn't worry about the cleaning making your teeth loose - it really works the other way around. The longer you leave the tartar on, the more likely it is that the bone surrounding the area will be destroyed (because bacteria like to hang around such areas. If there is not enough bone left to hold the teeth in, they will eventually become loose. So really, the sooner you can get them cleaned, the better.
I think you will be surprised how good they will look once they've been cleaned :).
A cleaning should be comfortable, but it can depend on the skill of the dentist/hygienist (some can be rougher than others). If the tartar is beneath your gums, a deep cleaning (i.e. below the gums) may be needed. Some people opt not to be numbed for this, but of course you can be numbed for it if it would otherwise be uncomfortable. Make sure that once you've set up a chat appointment with a dentist of your choice, you mention your concerns about pain and see how they suggest to ensure that you'll be comfortable throughout any treatment :).

I hope you'll be able to post a success story of your own in the not-too-distant future :cheers:!!!

I did it! I finally posted my success story!

Back