• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Questions for you all...

S

Shadow111

Long story short, I have a large fear of going to the dentist.

What makes me different from most people on here is that i go to the Orthodontist (my parents made me go.. they dont know i have this fear.. had braces put on about a year ago)

my teeth are in pretty bad shape.. but the ortho never says anything about them.

i had to go to the reg. D to get a baby molar pulled.. and he never said anything about my teeth either..

why is this??

It does sound odd because my orthodontist used to always get on me about my bad hygene.:devilish:

Hi Shadow111 :), in what way are your teeth "in pretty bad shape"? Healthy teeth are not the same as a gleaming row of white chiclets. You may have healthy teeth that just don't conform to the current fashion (particularly in the U.S.). I am sure that your dentist would have mentioned something if you had actual problems (like decay or gum problems) that needed attention.

I most certainly don't have gleaming white teeth but as far as I know they are healthy.:cheers:

Why don't you keep going for regular check-ups as well, alongside the orthodontist visits...I remember there was a notice at my orthodontist's saying 'Even if you are attending here regularly, you still need to visit your general dentist for 6 monthly check-ups.'

If you are not comfortable with your regular dentist, then maybe find a different one.
I would say having braces gets you very used to dental appointments being 'no big deal'....familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

Back