Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Crown Material is Best

Question Which Crown Material is Best

Hello,
      I am trying to decide on the best material for a crown at a reasonable price (given the options my dentist offers). Titanium covered by ceramic seems a good option as it is less likely to shrink than base metal and is the next cheapest option. Jelstar, a semi-precious ceramic crown, is the next one up in price. Is there really any difference between a crown with semi-precious metal and one with titanium? Lastly, my dentist says a 20 percent gold crown is even better if I don't care about the metal appearance. But would a mere 20 percent of gold provide major improvement of crowns?
      Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Which Crown Material is Best

Dental implants are made of titanium, a metal compatible with the human body. I have a crown with titanium, as well as an implant. My current dentist has commented on the "beautiful" work done by my former dentist.

Consider price, durability and appearance.

I'm interested in this too - I definitely want to keep my costs as low as possible but I don't want to end up needing a new one a few years down the line either because this has been stressful enough! I'm looking at a back tooth so appearance isn't a factor.

Having a little bit of Gorgonzola with crackers!

I'm not familiar with ceramic fused to titanium crowns so I can't comment on them. I usually use the ceramic fused to gold alloy type of crown or the full ceramic ones. Full gold crowns are great in that they are the most durable since there's nothing that can fracture off them (ie. porcelain) if esthetics isn't a concern.
      Cheese, Gromit, where's the Cheeeese???

The choice of material would depend on where the tooth is. Is it visible when you're talking or smiling, and how concerned are you about appearance?
      If appearance isn't a factor at all, then a gold crown with high noble content would be the best choice. As Zzz said, it's very durable, and gold also has the advantages of being very bio-compatible. It is easier on opposing teeth than some other materials (gold is very similar to natural teeth in that respect).
      Last edited by letsconnect; 3rd December 2008 at 13:16.
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

For me it's tooth 30, second in from the back on the lower right hand side. I am going to be having 5 fillings done next month so I imagine I'll have a mouth full of metal anyway. Is there a significant cost difference?

In the UK at least, there's not much of a price difference from the price lists I've seen (unless you went for something really cheap, but then you might experience problems with allergies or your soft tissues not reacting too well to it). Good-quality gold crowns and porcelain-fused-to-precious-metal crowns cost roughly the same. Personally I think it would be worth going for something that might cost a little more now but will likely save you money in the future (considering the difference in price is really quite small).
      Going back to the original poster, 20% gold content does sound very low... maybe one of our dentists here will know more
      Last edited by letsconnect; 3rd December 2008 at 14:58.
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

Having a little bit of Gorgonzola with crackers!

Here's some handy information about dental alloy compositions:

http://www.doctorspiller.com/dental_alloys_4.htm
      Cheese, Gromit, where's the Cheeeese???

Well in the end I was not given an option, I have 'porc fuse high noble mtl' on the bill, whatever that is, and that's what I was given! Thanks for the help though everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by scaredinthechi View Post
      Well in the end I was not given an option, I have 'porc fuse high noble mtl' on the bill, whatever that is, and that's what I was given! Thanks for the help though everyone!
      I had a "white one" put in about twenty five years ago, and it still looks good overall. But along the bottom, it has chipped off in places. Some black shows if you look closely.