• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Dentist, I'm Scared.

H

Heather97615

It's been over a year since I've seen a dentist. Back then, I had several fillings done, and all went well. But I was a wreck before that appointment because five years prior, I'd had multiple fillings and the dentist had caused me a lot of pain when the drill hit a nerve in one of my lower right molars. It was agonizing. And then he gave me something to deaden the pain after trying multiple novocaine shots but it caused my heartrate to increase. It was all around a terrifying, painful experience. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, but NOT when it comes to mouth pain at the dentist. I am a big baby when it comes to the dentist, and I'm the first to admit it.

So, a few weeks ago, I felt something weird between two of my lower right molars. I looked, and there was a loose filling. It didn't fall out though, so I didn't worry too much about it. Well, Friday, I started getting a toothache. Surprisingly, it wasn't even on the tooth with the loose filling but between two other teeth (also on the lower right). It progressively worsened, and I asked my best friend which dentist she uses. I am living in a different city than I was when I had my last work done, so I had to find a new dentist. Even though my old dentist hurt me that one time, I do trust him, and I'm not quite so terrified seeing him anymore. But anyway, I went by this other dentist to schedule an appointment, and he was able to get me in that very day.

The hygienist probed my tooth with that metal hook tool, and OUCH that hurt. She said she was just making sure she had the right tooth. Then she took an X-Ray. The dentist came in and said I had three cavities back there, and that where the filling is falling out is a really bad cavity. He said it may eventually need root canal treatment. Then he proceeded to probe around in my sore tooth too. It hurt. He said he wanted to clean it out, so he gave me two novocaine injections. He's not as gentle as my old dentist, but I'll admit that those don't hurt that much. Anyway, he proceeded to dig around in that sore tooth with so much pressure. I felt a few pains in the gums, but I didn't say anything since I knew he wouldn't be drilling.

I go back Thursday morning for the three fillings. I am terrified. First of all, I'm scared because that tooth is the same one that my old dentist drilled into a nerve and hurt me. Second, even after the new dentist gave me novocaine, I still felt some pain with him cleaning out the cavity. My biggest fear is that the nerve won't be numbed and I will feel that excruciating pain again. I don't mean to sound like a big baby, but it's so scary to be trapped in the chair submitting yourself to possible agony with no way to prevent it or even know if it will occur. I am going to beg for laughing gas. He didn't mention it Monday, but I assume all dentists offer it. I am also taking my iPod so that my music can hopefully provide some comfort.

Tonight, when I was flossing, the loose filling came out. Now that area is extremely sensitive. I am wondering if I should just get a root canal. I've never had a painful cavity before, so I am thinking that this one must be really deep.

Thoughts?

If I were you, I'd go elsewhere to be honest...not getting you properly numb is not a good sign....and he didn't bother to ask you if you were comfortable. Make sure the next one you try does have nitrous ....not all dentists do have it. Good luck. :grouphug:

Hi Heather :welcome:,

while I was reading your post, I was wondering if this dentist knows how scared you are? Or did he realize that what he was doing was hurting you? Despite being sensitive creatures (well, maybe not all of them), dentists aren't mind-readers, and sometimes they need to be pointed in the right direction :). They cannot help you unless they know about your fears.

Another question that popped into my mind was - did you like this dentist? Unless you're planning to move away soon, it's really important that you have someone you like and trust as your dentist. No two people are the same, and just because this dentist is the right one for your friend doesn't mean he's the one for you.

Thanks for your responses.

I like this new dentist OK... I mean, as far as dentists go I guess he's all right. And don't worry, I plan on telling them my past experience with pain during filling when I go tomorrow. I just didn't want to mention it Monday because it's embarrassing, and since he wasn't drilling, I figured I could handle it.

The thing is, I have to go to a dentist who takes Care Credit, and he's one of the few here. My friend recommended two, but he was the only one who accepts it. The others that I saw when I checked online, I'd never heard of. If things don't go well tomorrow, I will find a new one, but I am hoping everything will be all right. I'm tired of having a toothache (it's gotten worse since the filling fell out last night), so I don't want to switch now and then have to wait even longer to have the fillings done.

I like this new dentist OK... I mean, as far as dentists go I guess he's all right. And don't worry, I plan on telling them my past experience with pain during filling when I go tomorrow. I just didn't want to mention it Monday because it's embarrassing, and since he wasn't drilling, I figured I could handle it.

Fair enough...but you know, in your original lengthy post there wasn't a trace of anything positive about the dentist or the hygienist, which gave a strong impression you hadn't gelled at all and they were just someone 'rougher than your last' working on your teeth.
I don't think they both needed to prod your aching tooth either but that's an American system difference thing with multiple staff providing care to same patient.
As you have sound reasons for giving the benefit of the doubt, I think you need to approach it along the lines of having a right to comfortable care and if they can't provide that, remember it's your call, you can call a halt at any point. Best of luck with it. It'll probably be fine.
:grouphug:

This comment here is what gives me the impression you feel at their mercy and out of control....if you choose your provider it shouldn't be like that - you establish ground rules such as stop signals and having nitrous on tap should you want it etc etc :
'it's so scary to be trapped in the chair submitting yourself to possible agony with no way to prevent it or even know if it will occur. I am going to beg for laughing gas'.

Last edited:
I survived! When I got to the dentist today, I explained how afraid I was, and he was very kind and gentle, always letting me know what he was doing. I didn't even ask for laughing gas since I don't have insurance and didn't want the bill to be any higher. He was only able to do one filling today and that one took 2 hours. I am going back in the beginning of January for the other two on the next tooth over.

That's great news - well done :jump::jump::jump:!!!

Thank you!

Back