• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going under "GA" on 4/12/08

J

Jono1993

sorry bout the doubel post but i thought the support section was suitable for this.

Hi people, i am jono, i am a 15 year old school student from the united kingdom.

my story:

well at first i had not been to the dentist in 3 years due to a seperation between my parents, my dad took me to see a local dentist and he insisted i had 4 teeth removed and 1 filling. i was sent to a diffrent dentist about 40 minutes away. so my dad took me and i was terryfied of having an injection. i have had a big phobia of needles for a long time, i dont no why. but i do, it took me 3 months to get my tetnis booster shot, because i was so nerves, and terryfied. anyway, i refused to get any work done because their was no way i was getting a injection to numb my mouth, and still be awake. i would just simply pass out. so about half a year later my teeth got worse. and i started getting toothache, it got worse and worse, the pain was unbearable and i was crying due to how much pain i was getting from my teeth. about 2 months ago my dad took me to see my local doctor, who advised i took some "diasapan" before i went to get work done. but my dad refused as he had past experiences with it. my doctor came to the conclusion of being put under a "GA" but it would cost a lot, and it being about £100.00 a time and i would have to go about 5 times. and my dad just couldent afford it. we went to another dentist not local though. she sent me to a councelor type thing, were i would talk about my fears and what would be the easyiest way to get the work done. i said i was not having a injection. she then said she could get "GA" for me at the county hospital, "Queens medical centre" for free, she warned that we could be waiting a while due to major operations and stuff, i said i could wait. i got a letter saying i had an opointment on the 4/12/08 at 9:00 AM, i thought well ok. but now i have the fear of being put to sleep and not waking up. of course i know we all die sometime and thats a fact. but i dont want to know i could die. and its scaring me to death. ive got full support from family, friends and even my girlfriend. all telling me it will go fine. but what do they know its not them in this situation. it is now 01:16 AM 4 december 08, and im not sleepy and very nervous. i know what will happen from research, i will get asked for a needle or gas, im going to choose gas because i hate needles obviously, and ive seen on the web, that when gassed you dont remember a thing. when asleep i will get inserted with a breathe tube so i dont get bits of tooth and saliva down my throat hole.

when i wake up i know its going to be over and i know i will probably cry from the joy of knowing its all over. its nearly christmas and im going to take this like a man, and get it over with. i realy do things go well as i am scared to death.

i will post an update of how it went later on, probably when i get home. ill sit down at my computer play on world of warcraft, and when im fully functional again ill come on my laptop and post on here and let you guys know how it all went.

i hope you wish me the best of luck, and merry christmas everyone.

- Jono

:welcome: Jono
You will be fine...I have had several GAs myself and all the hospital based ones have been positive experiences....you are not in a high risk group for GA if you are a healthy 15 year old so it really is a case of going with the flow and waiting for that annoying moment when they bring you round from your nice sleep ;). :grouphug:

Thereafter I would suggest that you find a dentist with maybe TheWand as this is great for needle phobics. It is something which you can overcome particularly when you realise dental injections do not have to be painful..they can be done comfortably. For now though be grateful you got your GA (some folks in USA will be very jealous as they don't have much of a free health service) and look forward to getting it all behind you in time for Christmas.:party: I promise you will be fine.

Good Luck Jono

I will be thinking of you today, am positive it will go well and look forward to hearing from you when its all over.

Snow White:)

Back