• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The Dental Flipper

B

buttercup

Hi-I'm new to this board, and searched it out for the same reason all of you have.....a phobia!...Here's my story and questions...

Last weekend, I developed a pain between a couple of my front teeth.  I took some ibuprofin, and it didn't help.  I soon developed a full blown pain-a punch the wall pain-definitely!  Sunday morning, I woke up and my face was swollen-I was scared, but didn't panic too bad.  I called around to local dentists and luckily found one willing to look at me.  I found out I had an infection pretty bad and he put me on meds for 10 days.  I should mention that I haven't been to the dentist in YEARS.  I had a bad experience when I was younger and I was just plain scared.  My teeth have never been "normal"-I have never been able to smile-ever-I have hidden it forever.  I have breaks and everything and it's just not good.  Anyways, I took the plunge Monday morning and called a dentist, a nice dentist, that my Dad and sister recommended for me.  My appointment was this past Thursday.  It went surprisingly well.  I right away told him that I was terrified of what I may need done to my teeth.  He was so nice and even told me that everything about my appearance was attractive-I just need a smile.  X-rays were taken, and they took a plaster thingy(no clue) of my teeth also.  I should mention that I was terrified that one of my front teeth would pull out with the upper plaster and they fused my front teeth a bit and the plaster came out fine.(I was praying so hard!)  Here's what I have found out:

I need my teeth pulled-Four of them in the front and a few in the back-there are some that will stay.  He gave me the option to have them pulled right then and there and he would send me home for 2 weeks.  That option was for if I was in pain.  I told him I had no pain, and I didn't want to go toothless that long!  He completely understood.  I took the other option which was to come back to him on June 26th and have my teeth pulled.  In the meantime, they are making me a "Flipper"-a retainer with teeth on it.  This is my cause for posting.  I'm nervous because I can't find anything positive about this "Flipper" on the net.  I am in much need of advice about it.  I will call my dentist and talk to him before my appointment, but I would like to hear from anyone who knows firsthand.  I have heard that they are fragile, and you have to take them out when you eat, and they can be uncomfortable...Is this so?  That's why I'm worried.  Maybe I looked into it too much and am just scaring myself?  I know that this Flipper will give me the much yearned for smile that I've always wanted, but I can't help my out of control nerves.  Is there anyone who can help me or give me advice?  Thanks in advance-Kandy :)

Hi there :welcome:,

I can't give you any first-hand insights into flippers, but regarding your question about eating with them: leaving the flipper in while eating should not be an issue, although any serious biting on tough foods should be done with your real teeth :). Flippers are usually meant as temporary appliances (though some people use them for many years), so they may not withstand real tough use.

I can't remember if anyone on here had a flipper, but I think one of the people on Beyond Fear had one and she might be able to give you some first-hand insights... the url is [out-of-date link removed]

Last edited:
Thanks so much :) I will check it out. I think my nerves are getting the best of me-I'm worried about them taking that many teeth out at a time. I'm trying to think of the positives-of how I will finally be able to smile, but I'm just so nervous. I asked them if they could put me out for it, and my dentist said that he had a large hammer he could use-lol...I told him, "please?" He's a pretty cool guy-luckily. Nobody knows me with a smile, and I'm sure that when people think of me, they think of how I hide my smile all the time. 4 weeks can't come fast enough. I hope I will be brave! Thanks again-Kandy :)

Sounds like he has a good sense of humour ;D! Feel free to post here as much as you like for support in the meantime :)!

Hi! i'm new here, but i joined in order to respond to your post. when i was ten, i was in a horse accident that knocked out six of my teeth. they pushed one tooth back into the socket and sewed it in, but the other side of my face was crushed. i had reconstructive surgery that night, because my gum was folded under. to this day, i have no gum bone in a certain area in my mouth. anyway, the point of this post...i went 2 months without teeth, but at the time i didn't care. at that time, i had a permanent flipper, which was cemented to my back teeth and a wire went aroundthe inside of my mouth, and no one could see it. there wasn't a retainer-part on the roof of my mouth. i do NOT recommend this.. it was really fragile and i could pull it almost completely out. after that..i got a temporary flipper. it was wonderful! about 7 months after i had it, my mouth had changed a bit ( i was 12) and a crack went all the way down it. well, i still have this same flipper. the crack hasnt affected it at all. i can eat anything, chew gum, and do everything. by the way, i've had this since december of 2002. no one could even notice at all that i had fake teeth, even though i'm still self conscious. i'm getting braces on june 27 and at that time will get a new flipper without a wire. i know this is long, and i apologize. but do not be scared at all about what you will look like. you can eat with it, sleep with it. after about two weeks it felt completely normal and i felt weird without it. i still take it out to sleep lol but other than that, it really is great! don't worry and i hope you see this in time!

I get a notice everytime someone replies and yep, I got this in time. Next Monday, I will go in and have this done. You are a complete angel for posting this. I have been worrying 24/7, so thank you so very much for easing my worries. You are a HUGE help! I feel like an idiot for worrying about having my teeth pulled out with novacaine, when you had yours knocked out without choice. I'm so sorry about your accident. ouch :( I will leave a message on this site after I get my work done. I am still a tad worried, but not near as much as I was before. Thanks again! You made my day :thumbsup:

How did it go for you Buttercup ? I had a front tooth pulled on Monday due to a failed RC, I was wondering how long it took you to get used to your flipper. I'm doing kind of OK, but am finding it hard to eat as I don't like the feeling or lack there of when I eat. How was your speech afterwards ... I'm having such a hard time with that & I'm so self concious about it, so I'm housebound at the moment, I don't want to have to talk to anyone .... I'm spending all day talking to my dogs .... I've always called them cutie patooties ... but I cannot master cutie, which I suppose I shouldn't be too worried about as I don't go around calling everyone cutie patooties, but I'm a bit worried about how long it will take me to sound normal ... my biggest fear is I will never sound normal again :scared: I'll be going for a dental implant once the infection etc is healed .... my next drama, but that's still a long way off, so I'm not in total panic mode .... yet !!!

Hi there-It went fine, I was nervous because I had to have the 6 pulled, but they talked me through it and everything "came out" great. ;) I am still getting used to eating and speaking with this thing-I do lisp a little, but have a great family and I find myself making fun of myself! It does take a bit, though. The hard "k" sounds are what takes the most getting used to because the flipper makes you almost have to drag it out! Don't feel bad, I have to give my name on the phone sometimes and my first name AND last name start with K! However, I do have a nice straight smile now, and it seems that I am mostly trying to get used to that. It's hard after years of trying to hide it! If I sound odd or anything when I speak to somebody, I tell them straight out that I had some dental work done and am getting used to speaking again. Everyone seems to understand. Don't stay inside-it's summer! You'll sound normal again, don't worry. I did actually have to have an urgent appointment on Saturday, not flipper related, to have my way back molar pulled. It seems that the filling I had put in was sitting on a nerve and I could do nothing to relieve the pain. I'm thinking that I would be eating great if it wasn't for that. Just hang in there, it's only been 3 days. Pretty soon, you will be very used to it and the "k's" will come out fine. :) Thanks to all who helped me when I was nervous about this, I will do my best to return the favor-anytime :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply :XXLhug: ... it makes me feel so much better knowing there's light at the end of the tunnel & I'm not the only one going through this ! It sounds like you're doing great, hope you're on the mend soon, after your extraction.

I'm giving myself today & tomorrow, Saturday I'll be heading out to enjoy myself ... my husband & kids have been fantastic & say I sound fine ... but I know I sound like a drunk Daffy Duck :p I should be like you & just explain the dental surgery, but I'm just not there yet .... I feel people will be thinking well it's about time you did something !

Back