Thread: The Dental Flipper

Default The Dental Flipper

Hi-I'm new to this board, and searched it out for the same reason all of you have.....a phobia!...Here's my story and questions...

Last weekend, I developed a pain between a couple of my front teeth. OrthospamI took some ibuprofin, and it didn't help. OrthospamI soon developed a full blown pain-a punch the wall pain-definitely! OrthospamSunday morning, I woke up and my face was swollen-I was scared, but didn't panic too bad. OrthospamI called around to local dentists and luckily found one willing to look at me. OrthospamI found out I had an infection pretty bad and he put me on meds for 10 days. OrthospamI should mention that I haven't been to the dentist in YEARS. OrthospamI had a bad experience when I was younger and I was just plain scared. OrthospamMy teeth have never been "normal"-I have never been able to smile-ever-I have hidden it forever. OrthospamI have breaks and everything and it's just not good. OrthospamAnyways, I took the plunge Monday morning and called a dentist, a nice dentist, that my Dad and sister recommended for me. OrthospamMy appointment was this past Thursday. OrthospamIt went surprisingly well. OrthospamI right away told him that I was terrified of what I may need done to my teeth. OrthospamHe was so nice and even told me that everything about my appearance was attractive-I just need a smile. OrthospamX-rays were taken, and they took a plaster thingy(no clue) of my teeth also. OrthospamI should mention that I was terrified that one of my front teeth would pull out with the upper plaster and they fused my front teeth a bit and the plaster came out fine.(I was praying so hard!) OrthospamHere's what I have found out:

I need my teeth pulled-Four of them in the front and a few in the back-there are some that will stay. OrthospamHe gave me the option to have them pulled right then and there and he would send me home for 2 weeks. OrthospamThat option was for if I was in pain. OrthospamI told him I had no pain, and I didn't want to go toothless that long! OrthospamHe completely understood. OrthospamI took the other option which was to come back to him on June 26th and have my teeth pulled. OrthospamIn the meantime, they are making me a "Flipper"-a retainer with teeth on it. OrthospamThis is my cause for posting. OrthospamI'm nervous because I can't find anything positive about this "Flipper" on the net. OrthospamI am in much need of advice about it. OrthospamI will call my dentist and talk to him before my appointment, but I would like to hear from anyone who knows firsthand. OrthospamI have heard that they are fragile, and you have to take them out when you eat, and they can be uncomfortable...Is this so? OrthospamThat's why I'm worried. OrthospamMaybe I looked into it too much and am just scaring myself? OrthospamI know that this Flipper will give me the much yearned for smile that I've always wanted, but I can't help my out of control nerves. OrthospamIs there anyone who can help me or give me advice? OrthospamThanks in advance-Kandy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to buttercup For This Useful Post:

NightOwl (26th September 2011)

Default Re: The Dental Flipper

Hi there ,

I can't give you any first-hand insights into flippers, but regarding your question about eating with them: leaving the flipper in while eating should not be an issue, although any serious biting on tough foods should be done with your real teeth . Flippers are usually meant as temporary appliances (though some people use them for many years), so they may not withstand real tough use.

I can't remember if anyone on here had a flipper, but I think one of the people on Beyond Fear had one and she might be able to give you some first-hand insights... the url is www.beyondfear.org/group/display_topics.asp

Thanks so much I will check it out. I think my nerves are getting the best of me-I'm worried about them taking that many teeth out at a time. I'm trying to think of the positives-of how I will finally be able to smile, but I'm just so nervous. I asked them if they could put me out for it, and my dentist said that he had a large hammer he could use-lol...I told him, "please?" He's a pretty cool guy-luckily. Nobody knows me with a smile, and I'm sure that when people think of me, they think of how I hide my smile all the time. 4 weeks can't come fast enough. I hope I will be brave! Thanks again-Kandy

Sounds like he has a good sense of humour ! Feel free to post here as much as you like for support in the meantime !

xprettyhotnpinkx Guest

Hi! i'm new here, but i joined in order to respond to your post. when i was ten, i was in a horse accident that knocked out six of my teeth. they pushed one tooth back into the socket and sewed it in, but the other side of my face was crushed. i had reconstructive surgery that night, because my gum was folded under. to this day, i have no gum bone in a certain area in my mouth. anyway, the point of this post...i went 2 months without teeth, but at the time i didn't care. at that time, i had a permanent flipper, which was cemented to my back teeth and a wire went aroundthe inside of my mouth, and no one could see it. there wasn't a retainer-part on the roof of my mouth. i do NOT recommend this.. it was really fragile and i could pull it almost completely out. after that..i got a temporary flipper. it was wonderful! about 7 months after i had it, my mouth had changed a bit ( i was 12) and a crack went all the way down it. well, i still have this same flipper. the crack hasnt affected it at all. i can eat anything, chew gum, and do everything. by the way, i've had this since december of 2002. no one could even notice at all that i had fake teeth, even though i'm still self conscious. i'm getting braces on june 27 and at that time will get a new flipper without a wire. i know this is long, and i apologize. but do not be scared at all about what you will look like. you can eat with it, sleep with it. after about two weeks it felt completely normal and i felt weird without it. i still take it out to sleep lol but other than that, it really is great! don't worry and i hope you see this in time!

I get a notice everytime someone replies and yep, I got this in time. Next Monday, I will go in and have this done. You are a complete angel for posting this. I have been worrying 24/7, so thank you so very much for easing my worries. You are a HUGE help! I feel like an idiot for worrying about having my teeth pulled out with novacaine, when you had yours knocked out without choice. I'm so sorry about your accident. ouch I will leave a message on this site after I get my work done. I am still a tad worried, but not near as much as I was before. Thanks again! You made my day

How did it go for you Buttercup ? I had a front tooth pulled on Monday due to a failed RC, I was wondering how long it took you to get used to your flipper. I'm doing kind of OK, but am finding it hard to eat as I don't like the feeling or lack there of when I eat. How was your speech afterwards ... I'm having such a hard time with that & I'm so self concious about it, so I'm housebound at the moment, I don't want to have to talk to anyone .... I'm spending all day talking to my dogs .... I've always called them cutie patooties ... but I cannot master cutie, which I suppose I shouldn't be too worried about as I don't go around calling everyone cutie patooties, but I'm a bit worried about how long it will take me to sound normal ... my biggest fear is I will never sound normal again I'll be going for a dental implant once the infection etc is healed .... my next drama, but that's still a long way off, so I'm not in total panic mode .... yet !!!

Hi there-It went fine, I was nervous because I had to have the 6 pulled, but they talked me through it and everything "came out" great. I am still getting used to eating and speaking with this thing-I do lisp a little, but have a great family and I find myself making fun of myself! It does take a bit, though. The hard "k" sounds are what takes the most getting used to because the flipper makes you almost have to drag it out! Don't feel bad, I have to give my name on the phone sometimes and my first name AND last name start with K! However, I do have a nice straight smile now, and it seems that I am mostly trying to get used to that. It's hard after years of trying to hide it! If I sound odd or anything when I speak to somebody, I tell them straight out that I had some dental work done and am getting used to speaking again. Everyone seems to understand. Don't stay inside-it's summer! You'll sound normal again, don't worry. I did actually have to have an urgent appointment on Saturday, not flipper related, to have my way back molar pulled. It seems that the filling I had put in was sitting on a nerve and I could do nothing to relieve the pain. I'm thinking that I would be eating great if it wasn't for that. Just hang in there, it's only been 3 days. Pretty soon, you will be very used to it and the "k's" will come out fine. Thanks to all who helped me when I was nervous about this, I will do my best to return the favor-anytime

10. The Following User Says Thank You to buttercup For This Useful Post:

HermitAtAYoungAge (15th August 2013)

Thanks for the reply ... it makes me feel so much better knowing there's light at the end of the tunnel & I'm not the only one going through this ! It sounds like you're doing great, hope you're on the mend soon, after your extraction.

I'm giving myself today & tomorrow, Saturday I'll be heading out to enjoy myself ... my husband & kids have been fantastic & say I sound fine ... but I know I sound like a drunk Daffy Duck I should be like you & just explain the dental surgery, but I'm just not there yet .... I feel people will be thinking well it's about time you did something !