Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: white stuff after wisdom tooth extraction

Default white stuff after wisdom tooth extraction

I had my winsdom teeth taken out like 2 weeks ago now, the first 3 days I had them taken out, I came down with some puss and really stinky breath so I when back to dentist and they prescribed antibiotics and a mouth rinse. it's about 2 weeks now and I am done with the antibiotics, I have no tooth pain but now I were the tooth was there is a white base and I am assuming it will heal soon but I just wanted to be sure, maybe I didn't take my antibiotics correctly as I did skip a few times and so on but I took them everyday atleast. my question is, is this something I should worry about and if I do need to get back on another course of antibiotics will there be side effects? I really don't have any pain but I just poked the white stuff "which I shouldn't have but I thought maybe it was food or something" and I can feel a little tenderness in the area now but not something I can't deal with. I hope that what I am seeing is normal and it's just gonna heal on it's on. Thanks in advanced.

Default Re: whiteness after wisdom tooth extraction

Hi the white tissue is called "granulation tissue" and it's a sign that everything is healing well . Hope this helps!
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

3. The Following User Says Thank You to letsconnect For This Useful Post:

1iora (9th August 2012)

thanks for the reply. when should I worry? is it when it turns green or black? how long should the healing process take? Thanks again for your prompt reply, this forum rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by wisdom in View Post
      thanks for the reply. when should I worry? is it when it turns green or black? how long should the healing process take? Thanks again for your prompt reply, this forum rocks!
      Not when it turns green or black, but if when you shine a flashlight in the socket you can see your kidneys winking back at you – then be afraid – very afraid!
      No seriously, letsconnect is right – it is healing normally. The normal gum colour should be present by about six weeks although there may still be a depression in the gum where the tooth once was.
      And you were right as well – DON’T POKE AT IT!!!!!
      Best of luck

Lincoln Hirst

heh, thanks for the weird but informative response

just one question, everything I have been reading on granulation tissue seems to point that it's red/pink in color but, what I have it's white instead of red or pink, could this be because it's internally in the mouth?

acutally granulation tissue is pink/red, however, the top layer of skin over an oral wound often dies and is shed. This dead layer of skin is whitish in colour as it does not have a blood supply.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drhirst For This Useful Post:

1iora (9th August 2012), Wisdomless (5th February 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by drhirst View Post
      acutally granulation tissue is pink/red, however, the top layer of skin over an oral wound often dies and is shed. This dead layer of skin is whitish in colour as it does not have a blood supply.
      thanks, just the answer I needed.

Default Re: white stuff after wisdom tooth extraction

Hi, I had my lower right wisdom tooth removed a week ago exactly and it looks like its been doing really well. I wanted to make sure it healed quickly so I have been eating only liquids like soups and stuff. I have been drinking lots of water, rinsing with warm salt water 4 times a day, rinsing with my antibacterial rinse twice a day, they gave me antibiotics which I finished today. So far everything looks good and they told me that my pain would last a bit longer than normal because my wisdom tooth came in horizontally. My question is that the blood clot is still there but it looks like its sinking into the hole in my mouth and also after rinsing I looked at it and there was a tiny white dot in the middle or on top of the blood clot. Just wondering if that is normal. I don't think I have dry socket because my pain is managed with advil and my prescription pain meds at night. I can't take the prescription ones during the day because I work and they make me sick if I am not laying down or sitting the whole time. Any insight would be very helpful thank you.

Post Re: white stuff after wisdom tooth extraction

Try to drink lots of fluids and avoid hot or spicy foods. Put the Ice bags on swelling area, it will helps to prevent the blood clotting.