• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

white stuff after wisdom tooth extraction

W

wisdom in

I had my wisdom teeth taken out like 2 weeks ago now, the first 3 days I had them taken out, I came down with some puss and really stinky breath so I when back to the dentist and they prescribed antibiotics and a mouth rinse. It's about 2 weeks now and I am done with the antibiotics, I have no tooth pain but now where the tooth was there is a white base and I am assuming it will heal soon but I just wanted to be sure, maybe I didn't take my antibiotics correctly as I did skip a few times and so on but I took them every day at least.

My question is, is this something I should worry about and if I do need to get back on another course of antibiotics will there be side effects? I really don't have any pain but I just poked the white stuff "which I shouldn't have but I thought maybe it was food or something" and I can feel a little tenderness in the area now but not something I can't deal with. I hope that what I am seeing is normal and it's just gonna heal on it's on. Thanks in advance.

Re: whiteness after wisdom tooth extraction

Hi the white tissue is a sign that everything is healing well :). Hope this helps!

thanks for the reply. when should I worry? is it when it turns green or black? how long should the healing process take? Thanks again for your prompt reply, this forum rocks!

thanks for the reply. when should I worry? is it when it turns green or black? how long should the healing process take? Thanks again for your prompt reply, this forum rocks!

Not when it turns green or black, but if when you shine a flashlight in the socket you can see your kidneys winking back at you – then be afraid – very afraid!
No seriously, letsconnect is right – it is healing normally. The normal gum colour should be present by about six weeks although there may still be a depression in the gum where the tooth once was.
And you were right as well – DON’T POKE AT IT!!!!!
Best of luck

Lincoln Hirst

heh, thanks for the weird but informative response :)

just one question, everything I have been reading on granulation tissue seems to point that it's red/pink in color but, what I have it's white instead of red or pink, could this be because it's internally in the mouth?

the actual granulation tissue is pink/red, however, the top layer of skin over an oral wound often dies and is shed. This dead layer of skin is whitish in colour as it does not have a blood supply.

Thanks, just the answer I needed.

Hi, I had my lower right wisdom tooth removed a week ago exactly and it looks like its been doing really well. I wanted to make sure it healed quickly so I have been eating only liquids like soups and stuff. I have been drinking lots of water, rinsing with warm salt water 4 times a day, rinsing with my antibacterial rinse twice a day, they gave me antibiotics which I finished today. So far everything looks good and they told me that my pain would last a bit longer than normal because my wisdom tooth came in horizontally. My question is that the blood clot is still there but it looks like its sinking into the hole in my mouth and also after rinsing I looked at it and there was a tiny white dot in the middle or on top of the blood clot. Just wondering if that is normal. I don't think I have dry socket because my pain is managed with advil and my prescription pain meds at night. I can't take the prescription ones during the day because I work and they make me sick if I am not laying down or sitting the whole time. Any insight would be very helpful thank you.

Hi, I got all 4 wisdom teeth extracted last friday and today went for a check up at the dentist. So far 3 of the sockets have healed properly and I am not swollen, but, the right lower socket had to be cleaned up because there was some food debris in it, i feel as if im going to get an infection and my socket will never heal.
I rinse with salt water and use an antibacterial spray thingy but when i came back from the dentist and went to the mirror to check the socket I saw bits of white thing inside it. Is it food? Can I get an infection? How long do you think it will take until i can have a meal and not get worried about having an infection in my mouth?

Thank you

Sorry if it seems I'm freaking out, I am.

I just had my lower left wisdom tooth removed a week ago (gosh that was scary! especially because my teeth was impacted, and the dentist really push the tools against my teeth). After reading this post I am glad that I won't have to have him mess around with what's left. I'm healing, yay!

Not when it turns green or black, but if when you shine a flashlight in the socket you can see your kidneys winking back at you – then be afraid – very afraid!
No seriously, letsconnect is right – it is healing normally. The normal gum colour should be present by about six weeks although there may still be a depression in the gum where the tooth once was.
And you were right as well – DON’T POKE AT IT!!!!!
Best of luck

Lincoln Hirst

Hi, what does it mean if there is black or green colour there?

thank you!
skye

Hi SkyeaG123 :welcome: drhirst was kidding as he stated, don't panic he was just larking about :)

hey I need some help here cause am a lil bit scared etc.. I have did an extraction Saturday and i had an after pain and today when i searched my mouth i saw white thing on it and i dont kno d meaning of it and heres the big problem it have a piece of GUM FLESH henging over there i dont kno what it is can sum1 please help me am getting scared

My white stuff was pretty flush with my gums filling the entire hole, but has now moved deeper. I can still see the white granulation material but it has sank deeper down into the socket (I'm on Day 4). Is that normal??? No pain or anything (so far).

I got some white stuff as well. There is also a small red dot in middle. Pain is reduced but can open mouth

Back