• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

After effects of IV sedation

L

LittleS

I'm a dental phobic mostly because of a gagging fear and the lack of control. My gagging is such that I've never had an x-ray at the back and about my worst ever dental experience was having an impression taken. I've actually opted to have a tooth out rather than a crown because I don't mind easy extractions at all.

I've continued to go to the dentist regularly and have survived a lot of treatment - including extractions, root canal and a front crown. When I have a filling it's rare that the dentist can get a matrix band on me - and never at the back. I basically can't stand anything in my mouth that I can't take out instantly myself. I've had hypnotherapy to try to control it, but it only made a marginal difference.

Anyway, I need to have three semi-impacted wisdom teeth out (one was removed fairly easily some years ago) and my dentist has recommended IV sedation and had referred me to a local anaesthetic clinic. I think all three, or perhaps two, need taking out surgically and they can't be done at the normal dentist.

I've been reading all about the process on this site and it sounds like just what I want. I also know a couple of people who've had IV sedation and all have positive experiences.

But one issue which is worrying me along with the normal dental phobias. Please don't laugh, as this is very serious to me! I'll be taken and collected from the clinic by my mum and I actually have a secret I don't want her to know (about a relationship) and I wonder what the chances are of me talking about this afterwards when I'm in my post-sedation state? The two people I know who have had it have talked about "talking gibberish" afterwards. I've not told them about my specific fear.

Now please don't suggest I should get someone else to take me, as circumstances mean that is not going to happen. It has to be my mum who takes me there and back, and it's about a 40mins car ride away.

I kind of think that the semiconscious mind will still stop me 'blabbing' about my secret as the desire to stop talking about it will still be powerful. But I'd like to hear others experiences, so I can put my mind at rest (or not!).

As you can tell, with this and my normal phobia, I'm a bit wound up about it all!

Thanks in advance.

I had heard people say they repeated themselves but I felt very coherant after and my husband assures me I didn't repeat myself or babble at all so I think you'll be fine :)

I had heard people say they repeated themselves but I felt very coherant after and my husband assures me I didn't repeat myself or babble at all so I think you'll be fine :)
Thanks for that - makes me feel much better, although I'm still a bit wary of the whole thing. Anyone else got any post-sedation experiences? It's all sounding OK though. :thumbsup:

With me, all I wanted to do was sleep, so on the car ride home I slept and then got in bed and slept some more. I remember being fully able to control what I said and since it was hard to talk anyway I decided to just be quiet.

With my husband, he was more talkative, and before his surgery he swore the IV drugs wouldn't be able to knock him out because he "has such good willpower". After treatment, he was trying to prove to me that he was well enough to drive if I let him but he was barely able to walk straight! He was saying all sorts of things, but I didn't understand most of what he said and the conversation was really one sided with me saying "what?" and "just keep your mouth closed honey" the entire time. The biggest problem was he kept forgetting his tongue was numb and that he could bite it if he talked too much. They don't encourage you to talk for this reason. He wasn't telling any secrets, just saying over and over how much willpower he had!

I don't think you need to worry at all. No one will be able to understand you and you'll have more awareness than you think.

I think it depends on how well your body handles the sedation. I'm very, very affected by it. I got my wisdom teeth out in January, and I remembered waking up in the room there and trying to text a friend and I vaguely remembered taking a picture of myself with my cell phone. But I don't remember anything after that until I was at home--but I walked alongside my Mom to the car and talked a bit with her. ^^' But all I talked about was randomness about how "woozy" I felt and mumblings that she couldn't understand. Everyone I know handled it better than I did lol, so if I didn't say anything moronic, then you'll probably be okay! I would try to relax about it, if you can! C:

I think it depends on how well your body handles the sedation. I'm very, very affected by it. I got my wisdom teeth out in January, and I remembered waking up in the room there and trying to text a friend and I vaguely remembered taking a picture of myself with my cell phone. But I don't remember anything after that until I was at home--but I walked alongside my Mom to the car and talked a bit with her. ^^' But all I talked about was randomness about how "woozy" I felt and mumblings that she couldn't understand. Everyone I know handled it better than I did lol, so if I didn't say anything moronic, then you'll probably be okay! I would try to relax about it, if you can! C:
Thanks. I'd already decided I'll definitely leave my mobile phone by my bed at home. I'm quite attached to it and am sure I'll decide to send a text or make a call straight after my appointment if I have it with me.

I was at my dentist today having a front filling replaced. Not fun, but I survived at her second attempt to do it - with lots of breathing through my nose!

At the end of the appointment I told her to go ahead and refer me for the sedation for my wisdom teeth. It turns out only the two bottom ones are impacted and she thinks they may do it in two sessions. But I'll probably be having it within the next three months.

I had never had IV sedation before August (or any kind of sedation really) but was out like a light for it. I VAGUELY remember being led to a small room to sit and rest. I remember my throat feeling very dry then demanding (heh. I'm grumpy after I just wake up) to see my dad. He came in and I asked for water which I kind of spilled on myself (the entire right side of my mouth was numb..which I didn't really consider in my sleepy haze). All in all I just felt tired, I didn't say anything out of the ordinary. I'm sure you'll do fine and won't 'spill the beans' to your mom.

He came in and I asked for water which I kind of spilled on myself (the entire right side of my mouth was numb..which I didn't really consider in my sleepy haze).

So funny because I did the same thing too :) They told my mom to give me some coke when I got home since I get low blood sugar. When I went to drink the coke, it all drooled out of my mouth! Since I was so out of it, I didn't realize what was happening and my mom said something like "what are you doing!?" Only then did I look down and see the coke all over my shirt. Oops!

I just kind of laughed...I don't even remember how it got dried off o_O

I've got my appointment now. It's in Feb, and they've confirmed I'm having IV sedation and it will be done in one 60-90mins appointment. Will let you know how it goes and, until then, will read any positive responses on this site. Thanks for your support so far. :)

Last edited:
Please let us know how it went. I have often wondered about that same question myself. I have heard of cases that secrets were told, but never of any "real life" cases.

My wife has had sedation done three times for tests (not dental related) and she talks as normal as the next person after she wakes up. She has said a couple of things that she may have regretted but really, they sound like something she would have said if she were not under the effects of sedation. ;D ("Nurse, that doctor was really handsome." Yes, she said that once in front of me. )

She did not do or say anything to embarrass herself. I don't know if she had any secrets from me as she did not reveal them to me.

After a few hours, she returned to normal. She always remembers some things she said but not all of it.

I would be curious to know if your experience is any different. Normally I don't think people simply start revealing their secrets.

My question is....if someone specifically asked you a question that normally you would not answer, "Are you cheating on me?"...would the truth come out instead of a evasive or untruthful answer? I am guessing that if no one asks you about a specific relationship, then you will not be inclined to offer information, but what if they ask?

(This IS hypothetical and not related to me. I am not cheating on my wife. :o )

Please let us know how it went.

My question is....if someone specifically asked you a question that normally you would not answer, "Are you cheating on me?"...would the truth come out instead of a evasive or untruthful answer? I am guessing that if no one asks you about a specific relationship, then you will not be inclined to offer information, but what if they ask?
Of course, I'll let you know how it goes. I know you've responded on the other thread as well. You see how many problems I've got around this sedation! :)

As to that question - yes, I think you're right that you'll only talk about a specific thing if prompted. My mum is going to be asking me how I'm feeling, how it went, was I glad it was over....nothing more sinister than that, and I kind of think my subconscious will still stop me spilling the beans.

I was at my dentist today having a front filling replaced. Not fun, but I survived at her second attempt to do it - with lots of breathing through my nose!
That front filling unfortunately came out today. It's the second time within seven months it's come out and the dentist said if it came out again, I'd need a crown. Unfortunately, having an impression was about my worst ever dental experience.

I called the sedation clinic (which is separate from my dentist) and they can't do the impression in the same visit as the one I'm having for my three wisdom teeth (which is now booked). Not only that, but they won't do the impression on its own on a separate visit. They have to do all the work for the crown and it won't come under the NHS, nor my private (Denplan) insurance. I'm now thinking about having the tooth out. But it feels awful to do that to avoid a mere impression. A simple extraction at the front does not really bother me at all - which must seem strange to some on here, I know.

Sometimes I think, the fewer teeth I have, the less hassle I will have though. After my three wisdom teeth come out, I'll only have 20 teeth left. I've already had two out towards the back because I couldn't face having them crowned (the others came out when I was a child to avoid over-crowding). This one is near the front, but it's at the bottom and is invisible. :cry:

Last edited:
This post has helped me a lot too. I am also considering IV sedation (just for cavities and cleaning - i am that phobic- and I know it has to be my mom to drive me there and back. I have some pretty awful secrets I would never want to share such as past risky sex, drugs, and rape. I know that's more serious than the story of a relationship, but all the same, secrets are secrets. Everyone has things they don't want to share, especially with parents.

I'm sorry I don't have a hopeful success story yet, but based on all of this positive feedback, I am thinking we will both be ok. My appointment is soon, and I also wish you the best of luck. :censored:

This post has helped me a lot too. I am also considering IV sedation (just for cavities and cleaning - i am that phobic- and I know it has to be my mom to drive me there and back. I have some pretty awful secrets I would never want to share such as past risky sex, drugs, and rape. I know that's more serious than the story of a relationship, but all the same, secrets are secrets. Everyone has things they don't want to share, especially with parents.

I'm sorry I don't have a hopeful success story yet, but based on all of this positive feedback, I am thinking we will both be ok. My appointment is soon, and I also wish you the best of luck. :censored:
Best of luck to you as well. The first to have it done must report back. I reckon we'll both be OK, as our subconscious minds will be so relieved to get the dental treatment over with, that's all we'll be talking about!

I'm actually back at my dentist tomorrow with this front filling that's come out (nothing to do with the sedation appointment to have my wisdom teeth out). Assuming my front tooth now needs a crown, I'm thinking about seeing if I can get a Cerec crown. This will mean leaving my current dentist, as they don't do Cerec. So tomorrow I'll be having a chat with her about it. From what I read, it may be the answer to my phobia about impressions because of my gagging.

I'm having my first-ever IV sedation this afternoon (and DREADING it). I'm not sure what time I'll be home (probably about 8pm'ish) or whether I'll be fit to type but as soon as I can afterwards, I hope to share the experience in as much detail as I can recall. I'm hoping so much that it will be a positive experience and that I can hopefully encourage others considering as much as those who've already had it have encouraged me.

In the meantime, it's hot shivers and cold sweats as I count down the hours...

I had 6 teeth pulled (including 4 impacted wisdom teeth) while under IV sedation. When I woke up from the sedation I felt really groggy and the last thing that I felt like doing was talking. My grandmother took me and picked me up. Even stayed with me for a few hours at my house to make sure that I was ok. My mouth/face was swollen and I was just really sleepy. No pain at all since I was sedated and I was taking vicodin for the pain when I get home.

Not sure if it helps but not once did I ever feel chatty that day. I was more concerned with getting home and getting in bed so I could get some much needed sleep.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!:cheers:

I had 6 teeth pulled (including 4 impacted wisdom teeth) while under IV sedation. When I woke up from the sedation I felt really groggy and the last thing that I felt like doing was talking. My grandmother took me and picked me up. Even stayed with me for a few hours at my house to make sure that I was ok. My mouth/face was swollen and I was just really sleepy. No pain at all since I was sedated and I was taking vicodin for the pain when I get home.

Not sure if it helps but not once did I ever feel chatty that day. I was more concerned with getting home and getting in bed so I could get some much needed sleep.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!:cheers:
Thanks for that - very helpful. Yes, the dentist told me I won't be up to talking. So I'm sure what you say is right.

I hope we hear from Karenw soon. Hope it went OK for her. :hug2:

Thanks. I survived it but although my head is waking up, my body still doesn't want to know and my co-ordination is quite wobbly. It's not unpleasant and I don't feel ill in any way - I just need to sleep.

As soon as I can, I'll write about my experience but for anyone about to have their first IV sedation, there is absolutely NOTHING to worry about and the anticipation is far worse than the treatment itself or even the thoughts of the sedation.

It's back to bed for me now. Zzzzzzzzzz (!!)

Thanks. I survived it but although my head is waking up, my body still doesn't want to know and my co-ordination is quite wobbly. It's not unpleasant and I don't feel ill in any way - I just need to sleep.

As soon as I can, I'll write about my experience but for anyone about to have their first IV sedation, there is absolutely NOTHING to worry about and the anticipation is far worse than the treatment itself or even the thoughts of the sedation.

It's back to bed for me now. Zzzzzzzzzz (!!)
Well done Karen. Enjoy your sleep!

:grouphug:

Back