• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Any one had IV Sedation for Root Canal Treatment?

Lesley

Lesley

Hi all. Posted a few times on this site.

The closer my appointment gets, the more I am trying to figure out how IV sedation can stop you feeling any actual pain. I mean, I know it calms you down, and makes you woozy so you are not lying there terrified, and I also know I am having local injections to numb me up.

I have had root canals before, without IV sedation, where I didn't get properly numb and felt everything. This is one of the reasons why why I am now phobic.

I don't really understand sedation. I would prefer to be completely knocked out, but they don't do that anymore do they. So, if I am just sedated, and the injections don't numb me again like last time will I still be aware of the pain...? Or will it not bother me even if I feel it? Or will I be so sleepy I won't feel it at all? I have read some people have said the last thing they remembered was the scratch in the hand then they woke up and it was all over. I thought IV sedation just made you woozy and calm?

I keep thinking if I feel that pain again I will shoot out of the chair again and be half way down the street before anyone can catch me ;D

Thanks for any help

Re: Any one had IV Sedation for Root Canal Treatme

The IV works by relaxing you deeply, so that your pulse and BP go back to "resting" levels and the local has a chance to work properly, before your blood comes thundering through your veins driven by your panicking and washes it all away.

The other effect of IV drugs is to produce an amnesia effect of between 4 and 12 hrs, so you literally won't remember a thing about the treatment. See in the support sections for reports on this.

General anaesthetic for root canals is rarely justified, I certainly won't do it unless in very unusual circumstances.

Back