• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help - Bad Breath caused from rotting tooth

N

Need2Know

Ok I'm a new wife and need help on how to help my husband with his dilema...he has a porclien tooth in the front that apparent was screwed in to a piece of tooth that was left in the root area (above teh gum line)....well 17 yrs later we know know that that piece is rotting away and the smell that is coming from it is HORRIBLE....with the holidays here - his dentist wont be avaialbe to extract it or begin any procedure funtiil the next 2-1/2 weeeks....can ANYONe please share and home rememdies or anything I can get to help eliminate or control the odor??? Im sure its extrememly embarasing for him right now and let alone holiday parties are here....HELP!!! anything a dentist can perscribe or anything I can buy over the counter that can help while we are stuck waiting?????:o

There are still several days before Christmas - why can't you be seen as an emergency either by your own or a different dentist?

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing much you can do about the source of the problem yourself- you really need to see a dentist asap.
The only thing would be to try to mask it with sugar free mints/toothpaste/ mouthwashes etc- but I am sure you are doing this.
Perhaps even sticking a piece of sugar free minty chewing gum over the decayed tooth could mask it while talking???? it depends if that is even possible.
I have seen many patients with dental phobia, for whom the issue of halitosis (bad breath) from dental decay causes them to turn away when speaking with people as they are so afraid that someone might smell their breath.
Try rubbing toothpaste directly on the tooth and leaving it there for 15 minutes or so before rinsing. I've no theory to base that on but it may just help a little.
If you can't see a dentist until after Xmas- buy him some powerful aftershave from santa, and get in to the dentist asap in the new year.
I hope it all goes well
regards
Dr Mike

Last edited:
thanks everyone and happy holidays....we're stuck waiting right now because the temporary partial won't be made until after the holidays...I've convinced him to go with the implant but he is terrified of the surgeries and procedures...I'm surte I'll be beack for advice n how to support him and reassure him on that when its time....thanks again and have a good one!!

Back