• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum pain caused by vicious apple!

Arthur_Dental

Arthur_Dental

Sharp gum pain caused by vicious apple!

Hello again people, it always seems to happen to me at Christmastime! I was eating an apple the other day, when a bit of it got lodged between the right one of my upper two front teeth and the one next to it on the upper right. This has now left me with a sharp pain in my gum whenever I eat anything harder than a slice of bread. (Pain diminishes a bit when not eating). This seems a bit similar to what 'ThisIsNotMyName' said in his post about dental trauma/gum pain. I have just seen my dentist for my six-monthly recently (which I had to put off once, due to nerves) and I really can't put up with having to go back again so soon, especially not if something needs to be done! Please someone, tell me that I can just take XX tablets to fix it? Then maybe I can pluck up courage to see Dentist Man in the new year. :whistle:"All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" Repaired!

Last edited:
Hi Arthur,
Assuming this was caused by a sliver of apple jamming under the gum I would suggest you very gently floss the area taking the floss right up under the gum to ensure nothing remains between your teeth. Be gentle though, you do not want to traumatise the area anymore. I would combine this with hot saltwater mouthwashes (1/2 teaspoon salt in hot water) several times a day. If this does not rapidly settle over the next couple of days I would go to see you dentist in case you have a gum infection.
Hope this helps

Lincoln

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've already tried the floss thing. It didn't work unfortunately and no it wasn't apple peel. I may have to go see the man, only they never do anything on the first visit, so I have to steel myself twice! Hope I can get an appointment before Christmas. Thanks again folks.

Try a rubber stimulator. They should be available in any drug store. The "head" and tip are made of flexible rubber. The base is metal. You should be able to gently maneuver the rubber tip into the top of the space and work the piece out. Afterwards, use the warm salt water and don't eat things that scrap the gum for awhile, e.g., breads with a hard crust.

Thanks for that Robyn. I managed to pluck up enough courage to see my dentist in the end (due to the pain which keeps increasing). He's stuck me on a course of Metronidazole, so no drinking over Crimbo. :mad: He also said that if it isn't an infection, he might take the root out in the New Year!:scared: This is the first time in my life that I really, really want it to be an infection...:(

Happy Christmas anyway folks.

Back