• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling Tomorrow, I'm TERRIFIED!

D

DreamLit

I am getting a filling tomorrow behind my two front teeth. I have a permanent retainer behind my four front teeth and it made it nearly impossible to floss, so...I got lazy with it, I guess.

Now I have to get the filling tomorrow.

I'm so, so, so terrified. I have a total phobia of dental injections, and this is TOO MUCH for me. I'm humiliated about the cavity already (it's small, but STILL...), but because I get so worked up and panick-y about needles they've agreed to put me out for it. I'm not sure if it's GA or just sedation. I'm even more humiliated that I need to be asleep for any of this to happen. I've tried sedative pills before and they just made me more anxious. I've tried just getting needles and calming myself down, being distracted by a TV or music, being pressured and being given support and none of it works. I'm afraid that they'll have misunderstood me and it WON'T be GA but just a sedation (like laughing gas) and I'll end up panicking and crying everywhere. I'm terrified. I'm afraid of it so much. I can't take the pain, and I just can't stand the idea. And I'm afraid that if they aren't willing to put me out with GA, I'll end up calming down and sucking it up enough for one, but they'll need multiple and it'll be worthless. I just need support, or ideas to calm down! Or even a story about how it all turned out okay...I'm so humiliated. :S

If your dentist is good, dental injections do not hurt. If you are OK with other kinds of injections, no problem because there will be less pain. I have been needle phobic and I'm still a bit afraid of them, and my first dental injections were a pleasant surprise. If it hurts, your dentist isn't very good at injecting.

If they say they're going to put you out, then you'll know nothing about the procedure, even if they mean sedation. And here one of my tips for calming down: Focus on breathing slowly. I know it's hard, but try. If you breathe too fast, you'll feel more panicky. Hope you'll do well!

I agree with FinishGirl if your dentist has a good injection technique it should not hurt. If I need any treatment that involves drilling I always take a cd walkman / mp3 player with a relaxation cd. I find this drowns out the noise and helps me reax - you may want to try this. Hope all goes well, keep in touch.

Hi I had a filling this morning, and another last week, and the week before two teeth extracted. My main issue in my dental phobia revolved around injections and I can truthfully say I have not felt one of the injections I've had in the last three weeks. Like Finishgirl says injections don't hurt if the dentist has the right technique. If you are going for full sedation though it will be even more of a breeze because you won't know anything about it. If I had to go for another filling tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to get it done there really isn't anything to it, both of mine took no longer than 10 minutes to do, excluding the waiting time to get numb.

As for feeling humiliated I understand where you are coming from there too. I was so embarrised that I would act like such a baby going to the dentist, so much so I couldnt even let a dentist look in my mouth without crying!! I used to get so worked up trying to keep it all in. Key to getting past this was understanding that it really doesn't matter if you cry or sit there clutching a toy penguin, while blubbering, like I did at my first visit:p whatever gets you through it. Chances are your dentist has seen it all before, mine says she has. Whatever gets you through is ok, because this is about you not anyone else, you taking care of you.

The worst part is the waiting I was a total mess before my first treatment appointment. Try and focus on how relieved you will be when its over. It'll be over before you even know it happened.

Good luck

It turned out awesome--they did put me out completely, and the dentist and his assistants were VERY accepting and supportive of my decision to be put out. They were so supportive, it was really brilliant. C:

Back