• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

root canal tomorrow.. terrified. help!

O

omgseriouslywtf

long story short, i went to the dentist at the beginning of the month to get two cavities filled. one of them started hurting a bunch, has been hurting all month, so i went back again for x-rays. turns out the tooth is beginning to abscess and i need a root canal. so i am going in tomorrow to have it done (on christmas eve). :( i've never had anything more than a filling done in my life. those aren't too terrible for me to handle, but i have an anxiety disorder, and get nauseous quite often, so i'm scared i'll get nauseous during the procedure. does anyone else have this problem? what can i do so that i don't feel nauseous? anyone have any easy root canal stories? i don't think the tooth is too bad, i caught it early. i only have one 45 min appointment so i'm assuming it won't be too difficult. i'm just so scaaaaared i feel sick. and i know i will tomorrow too. reassurance please? :(

You will be fine, and you will have a great Christmas knowing that it is behind you.

I also have anxiety and am afraid of nausea and gagging at the dentist. However, it hasn't happened. For some reason, I can actually handle the work being done.

Two reasons.....
I trust my dentist.

And related, she lets me take a break when I need to take a break.

This doesn't mean that I don't have moments of slight panic, but it does mean that those moments have been based on no actual event.

Relax and focus on how you will feel afterward.

And please post after it is all over.

so i got it done! of course i cried like a baby before. i was so scared. i was told to come in early because they had a cancellation, so i did, but just ended up waiting a long time. waiting rooms are the worst. it wasn't too bad. they couldn't numb me through the cheek/gum area because of the infection, so i had to get a needle directly into the middle of my tooth and that was... something. probably the worst part. after that it was okay. and i really wasn't in much pain after. but now, 8 hours later, after eating dinner (carefully) i'm in a lot of pain. i'm hoping this is the worst of it and tomorrow i'll not be so hurty and will be able to have an enjoyable christmas. :) so glad its OVER.

Im 16 and have the biggest fear of dentists ever!
when i was in florida on hol last year i got a really bad absess on my front tooth because i had injured it a bit before.
im terrified at dentists (cry at appts!!) but i can honestly say its not bad at all! it made me less scared of going to the dentist... you dont feel anything at all after the injection. if you need an injection (tooth may be dead?)
so good luck. but its really nothing to worry about! :)