• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

7 Extractions to take place in less than 48 hours!!

O

Orange11

Hi. I'm a female(27) who has not been to a dentist in 18 years! Mostly due to neglect on my parents part. After they divorced, when I was a small child, that's pretty much were the nurturing ended. It's been very :shame:depressing:shame: having crooked/chipped and broken teeth. It has lowered my confident and drastically effected my social life. I can't even get a date. Well I finally mustered up the courage to make an appointment. It actually went pretty well. They did X-Rays and cleanings. The dentist then explained my long-term treatment plan : 7 extractions, 1 root canal, multiple fillings, and 2 small bridges!! Yikes!!:scared:..I still will need some Cosmetic Dental work after that.
Well I scheduled the extractions with an Oral Surgeon and the procedure will happen on Friday afternoon! I'm very nervous, but eager to get it over with. He told me that he will put me to sleep with pills.
Has anyone on here had that method used on them? I was expecting
IV Sedation to be offered. I don't know what to expect. Please help!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I don't have any advice to offer you because I had my extractions done with IV sedation. I just wanted to offer you my best wishes for your procedure today!
All I can say that our (phobic) imagination is USUALLY worse than the procedure itself!
I'm sure you will do fine!!
Hope all goes well and your recovery is easy,
Jen

Hi,
I don't have any advice to offer you because I had my extractions done with IV sedation. I just wanted to offer you my best wishes for your procedure today!
All I can say that our (phobic) imagination is USUALLY worse than the procedure itself!
I'm sure you will do fine!!
Hope all goes well and your recovery is easy,
Jen

Hi Jen,

Thank you for your Kind words and support. I just got home from the procdure,and it went fantastic! I can't believe I was so freaked out about it. I ended getting IV sedation, which worked wonders! I can't even remember when he pulled the teeth on my left side. They woke me up when he had about 3 left to do on the right side. When did he even have time to put in stitches?? I'm so happy it's over!:):)

Congratulations!! :cheers:
I didn't go to the dentist for 23 years (I'm 45). My mother was a big time dental phobic so I never really got dental care as a child either except for the mandatory dental check-ups for school. I felt like you, depressed :shame: that I was hiding this dirty little secret from the world ( my husband and brothers knew about my phobia).
When I had my extractions done (in October), I felt like a new person!! :yay: The recovery from the procedures was really easy. And for the first time in 23 years, I have been FREE from dental pain!! :yay:I have more dental work to be done and hopefully all my procedures will go as well as the ones in October!!
Great job!! Pat yourself on the back!! :jump:
Jen

That 's great. I wish you luck on your future prcedures. It's been 3 days since my extractions, i'm a little sore amy mouth feels pasty:confused:. I guess that's the healing process. i'll be glad whn I'm all healed. Next step is 1 root canal and 2 bridges.

Good luck to you too, Orange!!
When are your next procedures scheduled?
I don't have a dentist appointment until February 3rd. I'm not sure what will be done, or it might be a planning visit. I know this much at least; I will need either partial dentures or implants -- that's what my doc said.
Take care,
:XXLhug:,
Jen

Hi Jen,

My next procedures are 1 root canal and multiple fillings. Thereafter, I will move into the Cosmetic Dentistry phase. I will be getting a porcelain bridge and 2 porcelain crowns. My dentist said this will all take about 4 months. I can't wait until I have my new smile.It will finally give me back my confidence!:)

well done for going through with it, im in the process of having 8 veneers done and it will be completed next wednesday when im booked in to have the permanent ones fitted. I too can not wait to have a great smile, but at the moment im in so much pain with a infected tooth but i know it will be worth it in the end

Well done again

Hi, Orange,
I know what you mean about having your confidence back! Once I had all those decayed teeth extracted, I was no longer worried about bad breath!! Also I don't have to worry about smiling too wide and people having a look into my mouth and seeing all that decay:sick:!! (I don't have the 6-7 teeth replaced yet, but at least it's healthy looking gums!)
Hi, Scaredkay,
There is NO WORSE PAIN than an infected tooth!! I've gone through childbirth and a tooth infection is by far, WORSE!!! In fact, part of the reason I went to the dentist WAS because of the constant pain I was in from what it seemed to me, endless infections!
Take care you guys,
:XXLhug:,
Jen

well done for going through with it, im in the process of having 8 veneers done and it will be completed next wednesday when im booked in to have the permanent ones fitted. I too can not wait to have a great smile, but at the moment im in so much pain with a infected tooth but i know it will be worth it in the end

Well done again

Thanks so much for your support. Please let me know how your veneers go.
I'm not sure if I should get veneers or crowns. Do you know how much they cost? i heard around $700-$1000 per tooth!:o..I really want a nice white smile, but the cost scares me.

Im from the UK and i paid £500 per tooth. I have ended up having 3 veneers and 5 crowns, I know its a hell of a lot of money but i know it will be worth it.

chickenjen, i know what you mean, i would rather have a baby over and over again than have this pain. Its the worst pain imaginable:cry:

I see. I agree that the end result will be well worth the money. Are you getting veneers on your bottom teeth as well? I've read online about some people complaining that the level of whiteness did not match naturally because they only got veneers on their top teeth.

no just the top, but im going to whiten the bottom myself if the top is to white. I have had a shade lighter than my natural teeth as my natural ones are quite white to start off with.

That 's great. I wish you luck on your future prcedures. It's been 3 days since my extractions, i'm a little sore amy mouth feels pasty:confused:. I guess that's the healing process. i'll be glad whn I'm all healed. Next step is 1 root canal and 2 bridges.
how long before the pain eases had tooth out yesterday
morning going crazy at min and scared incase something is wrong
help

Hii..my soreness went away total after about 5 days. Luckily I never felt any unbearable pain.

Back