• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just Need Reassurance

W

Wilge

Hey y'all!

I stumbled on this forum after a Google search, and you guys seem very supportive. :) I'm a 25 year-old female living in CA, and I haven't been to the dentist in at least five years. (Probably closer to six or seven.) I'm not really scared of drills or needles, but one thing really wigs me out: the tastes.

I've always been a picky eater, and for a long time I had trouble even brushing my teeth -- the common toothpastes like Crest, Colgate, and Aquafresh made me gag. I've been lucky enough in the past year to have discovered a brand that I actually like (it tastes like lemonade!), so my teeth are looking a lot better.

Still, I have plaque buildup, and what I think the be the early signs of gingivitis. But my big concern is a wisdom tooth that is not in good shape. It's not hurting at all, but a lot of the center part has broken off leaving a hole and a jagged rim. Obviously that worries me.

I guess my question to y'all is, how do I choose a dentist who will take my fears and sensitivity to tastes seriously? I've built up a phobia since childhood because no dentist would ever listen to me. As an adult, I'm scared of gagging for two hours straight. Is it something you discuss even before you come in? Will a dentist be willing to make accomodations for me?

Another problem is that I'm an artist, an independent contractor, so no insurance -- I just want whatever needs to be done in order to make my mouth healthy. (I'm not interested in comestic stuff at the moment.) How do I successfully (yet respectfully) convey to the dentist that I don't want the bells and whistles? Is there something specific I should ask for?

Thank you in advance for your replies. I was quite lost and scared, but then I found this site and I feel very hopeful. :)

Hey!! First of all, you can look up in the phone book and do online searches for doctors who specialize in treating "people like us". Also, talk to friends and see where they go. As far as money goes, well they can work up a treatment plan for you and let you know the cost of different options and you can pick on, also, they have a like payment plans and even a dental credit card. If money is really tight, I know here in ga, you can go to the colleges that have dental students and they do stuff really cheap. Hope this help some.

HI...Im new here, but I just read on here something about a common otc throat spray that's supposed to work for people who gag at the dentist...does anybody else know what I mean??? I think its under the section of common fears/gagging..hope this helps a bit, hang in there!